Journal of Medical Internet Research
|Edited by||Gunther Eysenbach|
|Frequency||Upon acceptance (issues aggregated monthly)|
|License||Creative Commons Attribution 2.0|
|J. Med. Internet Res.|
The Journal of Medical Internet Research is a peer-reviewed open-access medical journal established in 1999 covering eHealth and "healthcare in the Internet age". The editor-in-chief is Gunther Eysenbach. According to the Journal Citation Reports the journal has a 2016 impact factor of 4.671, ranking it first out of 22 journals in the category "Medical Informatics" and 4th out of 90 journals in the category "Health Care Sciences & Services". The publisher was incorporated as JMIR Publications in 2011 and was a cofounder of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association. Shortly after incorporation, several sister journals were launched, focusing on specific subtopics within eHealth, such as mHealth, serious games, mental health, and cancer.
The publisher of this journal, JMIR Publications, has faced criticism for initially using the same editorial board of its main journal for its sister journals and for offering a fast-track review pathway for a surcharge. Eysenbach commented that the spin-off journals would eventually have their own boards and that the fast-track option does not affect the quality or integrity of its peer-review processes. As of the end of 2016, all journals had their own editorial boards.
Ranking of JMIR Publications journals
The publisher, JMIR Publications, publishes over 20 journals along with Journal of Medical Internet Research, including some society journals such as the Journal of Participatory Medicine, for the Society of Participatory Medicine .
According to a survey among 398 health informatics experts in 2015 to rank the leading journals in the field of health informatics the Journal of Medical Internet Research was ranked as a top tier journal. Its 2 sister journals JMIR Medical Informatics and JMIR mHealth and uHealth were ranked in the top 20%, as #3 and #6, respectively.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Medical Informatics". 2016 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2016.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Health Care Sciences & Services". 2016 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2017.
- Beall, Jeffrey. "JMIR Publications: A Model for Open-Access Health Sciences Publishers (withdrawn/unpublished)". Scholarly Open Access. Archived from the original on 2015-12-25. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- Eysenbach, Gunther. "Response by JMIR Publications to Jeffrey Beall's Blog Post". Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Eysenbach, Gunther. "Gunther Eysenbach's random research rants: JMIR's Fast-Track Experiment (Innovations in Scholarly Publishing: Part 1)". Gunther Eysenbach.
- "Breaking News! JMIR Publications is the new publisher of Journal of Participatory Medicine". Society for Participatory Medicine.
- Serenko, Alexander; Dohan, Michael S; Tan, Joseph (2017). "Global Ranking of Management- and Clinical-centered eHealth Journals" (PDF). Communications of the Association for Information Systems. 41: 198–215.