Journal of the International Phonetic Association
|Edited by||Marija Tabain // (2020)|
|ISO 4||J. Int. Phon. Assoc.|
The Journal of the International Phonetic Association (JIPA, //) is a peer-reviewed academic journal that appears three times a year. It is published by Cambridge University Press on behalf of the International Phonetic Association. It was established as Dhi Fonètik Tîtcer ("The Phonetic Teacher") in 1886. In 1889, it was renamed Le Maître Phonétique and French was designated as the Association's official language. It was written entirely in the IPA, with its name being written accordingly as "lə mɛːtrə fɔnetik" and hence abbreviated "mf", until it obtained its current name and English became the official language again in 1971. It covers topics in phonetics and applied phonetics such as speech therapy and voice recognition. The journal is abstracted and indexed in the MLA Bibliography.
(as dhi fonètik tîtcer)
- 1886–1887 Paul Passy
(as ðə fɔnetik tîtcər)
- 1887–1888 Paul Passy
(as lə mɛːtrə fɔnetik)
- 1889-1914 Paul Passy
- 1923– Paul Passy and Daniel Jones
- –1949 Daniel Jones
(as Le Maître Phonétique)
- 1971–1974 A. C. Gimson and John C. Wells
- 1975-1985 John C. Wells
- 1986–1989 Anthony Bladon
- 1990 (ad hoc board)
- 1990–1995 Ian Maddieson
- 1996–1999 Martin Barry
- 2000–2002? Peter Ladefoged
- 2003?– John Esling (and co-editors?)
- –2011 John Esling and Adrian P. Simpson
- 2012–2014 Adrian P. Simpson
- 2014–2015 Adrian P. Simpson and Amalia Arvaniti
- 2016–2019 Amalia Arvaniti
- 2019–present Marija Tabain
- Windsor Lewis, Jack (2005). "A. C. Gimson, JIPA and the m.f.". Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 35 (2): 215–220. doi:10.1017/S0025100305002136. S2CID 144269312.
- International Phonetic Association (1999). Handbook of the International Phonetic Association: A Guide to the Use of the International Phonetic Alphabet. Cambridge University Press. p. 195. ISBN 978-0-52163751-0.
- Hirst, Daniel (2010). "Sample articles from Le Maître Phonétique". Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 40 (3): 285–296. doi:10.1017/S0025100310000150. S2CID 146666633.