This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||New York City|
Number of locations
|United States and Canada|
|Claire Chambers, Lyn Lewis|
|Products||Bras, panties, hosiery, and lingerie|
Number of employees
Journelle is a designer lingerie company based in New York. The name Journelle comes from the French word “journellement,” meaning “daily,”
Journelle was founded by Claire Chambers in 2007. Chambers was working as a management consultant when she saw the need for an elevated lingerie shopping experience. She realized that she was not alone in this belief and started working on a business model for what would eventually become Journelle.
The first store, located in the Union Square area of Manhattan, opened in 2007. Since then, four additional stores have opened. Two in NYC (Soho and the Upper East Side), a fourth in Chicago in the Wicker Park/ Bucktown neighborhood and a fifth in LA at the Westfield Century City Mall.
The company’s website, Journelle.com, launched in 2010 and re-launched in October 2013.
In 2015, Chambers left the business and Lyn Lewis was named CEO. Lewis is a graduate of the University of Chicago and Harvard Business School, and previously worked as a strategic consultant and as a frontline manager in an operations and logistics business.
Journelle’s flagship store in Union Square opened its doors in December 2007. In November 2010, Journelle opened a store in Soho at 125 Mercer St. In 2011, Journelle opened its Upper East Side store on the corner of 73rd St. and 3rd Ave.
In September 2017, Journelle opened its first West Coast store location in Westfield Century City.
Journelle carries lingerie ranging from the everyday to the special occasion. It is known to have “pretty, lacy, delicate lingerie.”  The store also stocks loungewear, hosiery, shapewear and accessories. Some of the brands and designers they carry include Chantelle, Hanky Panky, Cosabella, Bordelle, Eberjey, Fleur of England, Wolford, Elle Macpherson Intimates, Stella McCartney and La Perla.
In February 2013, the company bottled their signature scent (the Linden flower) and created their own lingerie wash. Prior to the 2013 holiday season, they debuted luxury sleepwear under their company name.
The Grey Lady
During the summer of 2013, Journelle launched a mobile pop-up shop road trip. The company retrofitted a 1970 Land Yacht Airstream to resemble the stores’ aesthetic and atmosphere; complete with a tucked away dressing room, a lounging banquette and custom shelving. The airstream, named the Grey Lady, kicked off the summer in Sag Harbor, then traveled to Boston, Chicago, and Washington D.C. During New York Fashion Week, the Grey Lady popped up at the Standard Hotel’s High Line location.
The road trip served as a way for Journelle to meet already loyal customers and introduce them to the personal in-store experience, as well as a way to test top e-commerce markets for potential store expansion.
Free The Girls
In 2012, Journelle began an annual partnership with not-for-profit Free The Girls for a Spring Cleaning bra drive. Journelle collects gently used bras to send to the organization, which supports women who have been rescued from trafficking. Journelle runs the drive in each of their stores, as well as online, offering discounts to participants who donate gently used bras. They also donate $1 for each bra donated.
Free The Girls sends the bras to safe houses in Mozambique who help former victims of trafficking to sell the bras to other women in the community. By earning their own wages and building their own business model, these women are able to support themselves and their families.
- Monget, Karyn (9 December 2011). "Journelle Expands Franchise" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. p. 10. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Casserly, Meghan (14 October 2011). "Journelle CEO Claire Chambers To Aspiring Entrepreneurs: Never Stop Networking". United States: Forbes. Forbes Media LLC. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Pasquarelli, Adrianne (21 April 2013). "Specialty Retailers Are Winning the Underwars". United States: Crain's New York Business. Crain Communications Inc. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Monget, Karyn (27 March 2013). "Journelle Plots Expansion" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. p. 3. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Hughes, Aria (29 October 2015). "Journelle's Founder and CEO Leaves Company" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
- Kleinman, Rebecca (1 March 2010). "Journelle Opens in Miami Beach" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. p. 17. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Monget, Karyn (12 December 2011). "Journelle Expands Franchise" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. p. 10. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Iredale, Jessica (19 August 2015). "Journelle Launches Private Label Lingerie Collection" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Journelle". Time Out Chicago. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Hamanaka, Kari (17 September 2017). "Journelle to Enter West Coast Market in Century City". Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "7 Lingerie Stores That Aren't Victoria's Secret". The Huffington Post. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Shop Spotlight: Journelle Airstream". Rue Daily. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Monget, Karyn (4 September 2013). "Journelle Hits the Road in Vintage Airstream Trailer" (Fashion News). United States: Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Our Story". Free The Girls. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Journelle Spring Cleaning Bra Drive". Free The Girls. Retrieved 3 March 2014.