Journey to the Shore
|Journey to the Shore|
|Directed by||Kiyoshi Kurosawa|
|Screenplay by||Kiyoshi Kurosawa|
|Based on||Kishibe no Tabi|
by Kazumi Yumoto
|Music by||Otomo Yoshihide|
|Edited by||Tsuyoshi Imai|
Journey to the Shore (岸辺の旅 Kishibe no Tabi) is a 2015 Japanese romantic drama film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. It is adapted from the novel Kishibe no Tabi by Japanese writer Kazumi Yumoto. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival where Kurosawa won the prize for Best Director. It was selected to be screened in the Contemporary World Cinema section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival.
- Tadanobu Asano as Yusuke
- Eri Fukatsu as Mizuki
- Masao Komatsu as Shimakage
- Yū Aoi as Tomoko
- Akira Emoto as Hoshitani
Journey to the Shore received mixed reviews, with critics praising Kurosawa's direction, cinematography, atmosphere and the lead performances while others criticized its pacing and score. David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film an unfavorable review, saying: "Too much lethargic, unclear plotting and saccharine melodrama mean the gentle film is seldom as intriguing as its premise, even if Kurosawa as always provides arresting visual moments and has a commanding way of building atmosphere out of stillness." Meanwhile, Maggie Lee of Variety said: "Fans of Kurosawa’s earlier psycho-thrillers may desire more eeriness and visual panache, but those who’ve accepted the helmer’s conscious change of tune and pace should be gently touched." Derek Elley of Film Business Asia gave the film a 7 out of 10, saying: "Kurosawa Kiyoshi bounces back with a touching, offbeat love story between life and death."
- Kevin Ma (24 May 2015). "Kurosawa wins second Un Certain Regard prize". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Screenings Guide". Festival de Cannes. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Rebeccas Ford (23 May 2015). "Cannes: 'Rams' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Sandra Bullock's 'Our Brand Is Crisis,' Robert Redford's 'Truth' to Premiere at Toronto". Variety. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Rooney, David (18 May 2015). "'Journey to the Shore (Kishibe no tabi)': Cannes Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Lee, Maggie (17 May 2015). "Cannes Film Review: 'Journey to the Shore'". Variety. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Derek Elley (19 May 2015). "Journey to the Shore". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 24 May 2015.