|Jovellana sinclairii, Auckland Botanic Gardens, New Zealand|
Ruiz & Pav.
Jovellana is a genus of flowering plants in the family Calceolariaceae. It was formerly included in Scrophulariaceae, and is still listed by some authorities as belonging there. However, recent molecular research indicates that the family Scrophulariaceae was polyphyletic, meaning that it contained more than one lineage with different parents. So several of its genera - including Jovellana - have been split off and assigned to new or existing families.
Jovellana currently contains six to eight species of mainly herbaceous perennials native to Chile and New Zealand. They have simple leaves and, in summer, nodding sprays of single, two-lipped, bell-shaped flowers in shades of white, lilac and purple, heavily spotted with a contrasting colour inside.
The following species are currently included:-
Authorities have commented on the disjunct nature of the two populations in Chile and New Zealand. However, this is not unique. Fuchsia is another genus with species apparently randomly segregated between Central and South America, New Zealand and Tahiti.
At least three species are cultivated as ornamental garden plants. They are frost-hardy down to −5 °C (23 °F), but in cultivation they require a sheltered position in full sun. Jovellana violacea, growing to 2.5 m (8.2 ft) tall by 1 m (3.3 ft) broad, is a semi-evergreen subshrub with lilac coloured flowers, internally spotted with purple on a yellow background. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit.
- "Jovellana". The Plant List. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- "Jovellana". International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- Fischer, E. (2004). "Scrophulariaceae". In Kubitzki, K.; Kadereit, J.W. Flowering Plants — Dicotyledons: Lamiales. The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants. VII. Springer. pp. 333−432. ISBN 3-540-40593-3.
- Brickell, Christopher, ed. (2008). The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 587. ISBN 9781405332965.
- "Plant Profiles > Jovellana". O2 Profiles. Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- "RHS Plantfinder -Jovellana violacea". Retrieved 14 March 2018.
- "AGM Plants - Ornamental" (PDF). Royal Horticultural Society. July 2017. p. 56. Retrieved 14 March 2018.