This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||21 February 1938|
|Occupation||Author, school dental nurse|
|Education||St Mary's College, Wellington|
|Notable works||Grandpa's Slippers|
|Notable awards||Gaelyn Gordon Award |
New Zealand Post Award
|Relatives||Two great grandchildren|
Joy Watson (born 21 February 1938) is an New Zealand author of children's books, many of which have been published by Scholastic Corporation. Waston based many of her tales on her now-late husband Kevin. In addition to being an author, Watson wrote lyrics to school musicals and songs. She is the mother of Mary-anne Scott.
Watson was born in Gisborne on 21 February 1938 to a farming family who was educated by correspondence although she later attended school at Waipukurau and St Mary's College, Wellington. Although her father left school at a young age, both of her parents were literate. After finishing school, she trained and worked as a dental nurse until she married at age twenty.
Watson's book "Grandpa's Slippers" became well-known and won a Gaelyn Gordon award in 1999. In 2015, "Grandpa's Slippers" was a fiction nomination for the Great Kiwi Classic and was also adapted into a stage show The book was also included in the Devonport-Takapuna Local Grants for 2017/2018. In 2012, Watson dedicated preschool story time to the community of Hastings for New Zealand Book Month.
- Pets (1988)
- Mouse In The House (1989)
- Grandpa's Slippers (1989)
- Grandpa's Cardigan (1993)
- No Porridge, Please (1994)
- Just In Case (1996)
- A Wet Day At School (1996)
- Foster Dog (1999)
- Highway Robbery (2000)
- The Birthday Flood (2001)
- Grandpa's Shorts (2001) - Children's Choice Award at the 2002 New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults
- Grandpa's Shed (2003)
- Zita the Zebra (2006)
- Grandpa's Cat (2006)
- Worms Squirm...and Other Poems (2007)
- "JOY WATSON". storylines.org.nz. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Spell binders: How Juliette MacIver, Toby Morris, Mary-anne Scott and Lisala Halapua write their acclaimed children's books
- Gaelyn Gordon: Tripswitch
- Joy Watson reads Grandpa's Slippers
- "Interview with Joy Watson". christchurchcitylibraries.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- The private inspiration behind this iconic New Zealand kid's book
- "Mary-anne Scott".
- "Spell binders: How Juliette MacIver, Toby Morris, Mary-anne Scott and Lisala Halapua write their acclaimed children's books".
- "The Great Kiwi Classic: On Sacred Cows and Literary Canons".
- Grandma McGarvey with Grandpa's Slippers
- "2017/2018 Devonport-Takapuna Local Grants, Round Two" (PDF).
- "New Zealand Book Month 2012 – get ready to turn the page!".
- Watson, Joy - bookcouncil
|This article about a New Zealand writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|