Joy in the Morning (film)
|Joy in the Morning|
|Directed by||Alex Segal|
|Produced by||Henry T. Weinstein|
|Written by||Betty Smith (novel)|
|Music by||Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster (title song)|
|Edited by||Thomas J. McCarthy|
|Box office||$1,700,000 (US/Canada rentals)|
Joy in the Morning is a 1965 American film directed by Alex Segal. It was adapted from the 1963 novel of the same name by Betty Smith. The film stars Richard Chamberlain as Carl Brown and Yvette Mimieux as Annie McGairy Brown. The musical score for the film is by Bernard Herrmann, and the title song is sung by Richard Chamberlain.
The story is set in the late 1920s, a time of rapidly changing social attitudes. Eighteen-year-old Brooklynite Annie McGairy has moved to the Midwest to marry her law-student love, Carl Brown. The couple must overcome many obstacles, including disapproval from their parents, who knew each other before emigrating to America from Ireland, financial problems, and Annie's sexual insecurities. These problems are all compounded when Annie discovers she is pregnant.
After a heated argument, Annie leaves Carl and returns to Brooklyn to live with her mother. She doesn't tell Carl she is pregnant because she doesn't want to burden him while he's working on his education.
Ultimately, Annie realizes that her family should be together, and Carl forgives her for leaving him because he believes that his child deserves happiness. The couple embraces at the train station and vow to stay together.
- Richard Chamberlain - Carl Brown
- Yvette Mimieux - Annie McGairy Brown
- Arthur Kennedy - Patrick Brown
- Oskar Homolka - Stan Pulaski
- Donald Davis - Anthony Byrd
- Joan Tetzel - Beverly Karter
- Sidney Blackmer - Dean James Darwent
- Virginia Gregg - Mrs. Lorgan
- Chris Noel - Mary Ellen Kincaid
- Bartlett Robinson - Professor Victor Newcole
- Ellen Atterbury - Marriage License Clerk
- Harvey Stephens - Dr. Marson
- Ira Barmak - Dr. Kirkson
- Anticipated rentals accruing distributors in North America. See "Top Grossers of 1965", Variety, 5 January 1966 p 36
- Joy in the Morning on IMDb
- Joy in the Morning at the TCM Movie Database
- Joy in the Morning at AllMovie
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|