Joyce Boye is a federal food research scientist with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada with a specialty in value-added food processing, food safety and food quality. She has expertise on plant proteins and their importance in helping to improve human health and nutrition. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (UN FAO) appointed Joyce Boye Special Ambassador for North America for the 2016 International Year of Pulses.
Boye has a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering (University of Science and Technology, Ghana) and a Ph.D. in food science (Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, McGill University, Montreal, QC). After working with AAFC as a Post-Doctoral Fellow for a year, she joined the department in 1997 as Research Scientist at the Food Research and Development Centre in St. Hyacinthe (Quebec) where she led a variety of research projects in the areas of value-added food processing, food safety and food quality. In addition to her research activities within AAFC, she also served as a Senior Policy Analyst, Program Coordinator and Agri-Food Sector Strategy Coordinator, and as Acting Director of Research, Development and Technology Transfer of AAFC’s research and development centres at Fredericton, Kentville and St-John’s. She was also an Adjunct Professor at the Department of Bioresource Engineering, McGill University, Canada. Boye is currently Director of Research, Development and Technology (RDT) for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s (AAFC) research centres in British Columbia.
Boye has worked extensively on pulses (peas, lentils, chickpeas, beans), soybeans, soy-based products and canola, in collaboration with the private sector to develop new processing techniques and new food products. Her projects have resulted in the development of several declarations of inventions, novel food products and license agreements between AAFC and the collaborating companies. She has authored/co-authored over 275 scientific and technical papers/reports/lectures including 85 peer-reviewed scientific papers and 29 book chapters and is editor/co-editor of 4 scientific books. Internationally, Boye served as an expert for global initiatives on human nutrition. She served as a member of the World Bank Agricultural Pull Mechanism Initiative Working Group on Nutrition launched by G20 members and was a Visiting Expert for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Rome where she contributed to the International FAO Expert Consultation on Protein Quality in Human Nutrition.
Honours and awards
- Special Ambassador for the International Year of Pulses 2016 (IYP) 
- André-Latour 2001 and 2005 Innovation Prizes (Governor’s Foundation/Food Research and Development Centre) 
- 2001 Research Partnership Prize of Excellence (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada) 
- VMAC Award of Distinction 2001.
Her work on novel techniques for processing of soy won the 2005 Canadian Agri-Food Award of Excellence for Innovation in Agriculture & Agri-Food.
- Joyce Boye, Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/joyce-irene-boye-68ab944a accessed October 6, 2016.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada scientist named Special Ambassador by United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/news/science-of-agricultural-innovation/agriculture-and-agri-food-canada-scientist-named-special-ambassador-by-united-nations-food-and-agriculture-organization/?id=1470918120603 accessed October 6, 2016
- 2014 Protein Trends & Technology Seminar http://www.globalfoodforums.com/joyce-boye/ accessed October 6, 2016
- Joyce Boye, Ph.D., Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/science-and-innovation/research-centres/quebec/saint-hyacinthe-research-and-development-centre/boye-joyce-phd/?id=1399298069365 accessed October 6, 2016
- Leading Pulse Scientist Appointed Special Ambassador for the International Year of Pulses for North America http://www.globalharvestinitiative.org/index.php/2016/06/leading-pulse-scientist-appointed-special-ambassador-for-the-international-year-of-pulses-for-north-america/ accessed October 6, 2016
- Food and Agriculture Organization, International Year of Pulses http://www.fao.org/pulses-2016/news/news-detail/en/c/421153/ accessed October 6, 2016