Joyce Lankester Brisley
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Joyce Lankester Brisley|
Bexhill-on-Sea, England, UK
|Died||1978 (aged 82)|
|Notable works||Milly-Molly-Mandy series|
Joyce Lankester Brisley (6 February 1896 – 1978) was an English writer. She is most noted for writing and illustrating the Milly-Molly-Mandy series, which were first printed in 1925 by the Christian Science Monitor.
The second of three daughters of George Brisley, a pharmacist, of Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex, Brisley's sisters- Ethel Constance, the eldest, and Nina Kennard, the youngest- were also illustrators. They studied art firstly at Hastings School of Art, then, following their parents' divorce in 1912 and the subsequent relocation of the girls and their father to Brixton, at Lambeth School of Art.
All three sisters illustrated postcards for the publisher Alfred Vivian Mansell & Co., with Nina (who also illustrated Elinor Brent-Dyer's Chalet School series) and Ethel becoming quite prolific. Brisley died in 1978 at the age of 82.
Brisley's books were first printed in 1925, and a collection appeared in book form in 1928. She wrote and illustrated six collections of Milly-Molly-Mandy, amongst other works.
- The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook (1928)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy Again (1953)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy and Co. (1955)
- More of Milly-Molly-Mandy (1957)
- Further Doings of Milly-Molly-Mandy (1959)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories (1960)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy and Billy Blunt (1967)
- The Best of Milly-Molly-Mandy (2004)
- Hurrah for the Trains (1919)
- Jolly Days At the Zoo (1921)
- Another Bunchy book (1951)
- Children of Bible Days (1970)
- The New Testament Story (1973)
- Model Trains (1979)
- Marigold in Godmother's House (2001) (originally published in The Joyce Lankester Brisley Book)
- Bunchy (2005) (originally published in The Joyce Lankester Brisley Book)
- The Dawn Shops, and Other Stories (1950)
- The Joyce Lankester Brisley Book (1981)
- My Bible Book (1964)
- From the Exile to Christ: A Historical Introduction to Palestinian Judaism (1964)
- "Joyce Lankester Brisley children's author: papers, 1903–1976". Victoria and Albert MuseumArchive of Art and Design (vam.ac.uk). Retrieved 2016-05-15.