|Born||May 29, 1945|
|Awards||ICP Infinity Awards 1989
WIPI Distinguished Photographer Award 1990
Joyce Tenneson (born in Weston, Massachusetts on May 29, 1945) is an American fine art photographer known for her distinctive style of photography, which often involves nude or semi-nude women. Tenneson earned her master's degree in photography from George Washington University after starting as a model for Polaroid. She left her job as a photography professor at 39, and moved from Washington to New York. Tenneson shoots primarily with the Polaroid 20x24 camera. In an interview with a photography magazine, Tenneson advised artists: "I very strongly believe that if you go back to your roots, if you mine that inner territory, you can bring out something that is indelibly you and authentic - like your thumbprint. It's going to have your style because there is no one like you." As a child, her parents worked on the grounds of a convent, which is where she grew up with her two sisters. She and her sister "were enlisted to be in holiday pageants and processions. It was a mysterious environment - something out of Fellini - filled with symbolism, ritual, beauty, and also a disturbing kind of surreal imagery."  Tenneson moved from Manhattan to Rockport, Maine in 2004.
Her work has been displayed in more than 100 exhibitions around the world. Tenneson has had cover images on several magazines including Time, Life, Entertainment Weekly, Newsweek, Premiere, Esquire and The New York Times Magazine.
- Shells: Nature's Exquisite Creations 2011
- A Life in Photography 2008
- Intimacy 2004
- Amazing Men 2004
- Flower Portraits 2003
- Wise Women 2002 (Wise Women was the best selling photography book of 2002)
- Light Warriors 2000
- Illuminations 1997
- Transformations 1993
- Au-Dela 1989
- Joyce Tenneson Photographs 1984
- In/Sights 1978
- Williams, Val (1993-05-05). "Beauty in Force and Fragility". The Guardian.
- Falzano, Rebecca. "The Eye of the Intimist". mainehomedesign.com. Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- [dead link]
- ICP Past Award recipients Archived 2007-09-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Lucie Awards 2005 Honorees Archived 2007-08-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- PPA Press Release Archived 2012-05-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Cristofovici, Anca. "Joyce Tenneson: An Aesthetics Of Aging" (PDF). University of Florida. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|