N. T. Rama Rao Jr.
|Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao|
|Native name||న౦దమూరి తారక రామా రావు|
20 May 1983 |
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
|Residence||Film Nagar, Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Alma mater||Vidyaranya High School|
|Occupation||Actor, Singer, Dancer & Politician|
|Years active||1991–1997 (child artist)
|Political party||Telugu Desam Party|
|Spouse(s)||Lakshmi Pranathi (m. 2011)|
|Children||Nandamuri Abhay Ram|
|Relatives||Nandamuri Balakrishna (uncle)
Nandamuri Kalyan Ram (Brother)
Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao (Grand Father)
Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao Jr. (born 20 May 1983), widely known as Jr. NTR is an Indian film actor, known for his work exclusively in Telugu cinema, and an accomplished Kuchipudi dancer. He is the grandson of veteran Telugu actor and former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N. T. Rama Rao. In 1996, he starred as a child artist in Ramayanam, which won the National Film Award for Best Children's Film for that year. He achieved his breakthrough with the blockbuster film Student No.1. He is famous for his roles in successful films such as Aadi (2002), Simhadri (2003),Yamadonga (2007), Adhurs (2010), Brindavanam (2010), Baadshah (2013) and Temper (2015).
In his film career, Jr. NTR has worked in twenty seven films till date, two as child artist & one as cameo and twenty four as a lead actor. He has won two state Nandi Awards, one Filmfare Best Telugu Actor Award and three CineMAA Awards. Other than films he is the brand ambassador for several brands such as Malabar Gold, Himani Navratna Hair Oil and Zandu Balm in Andhra Pradesh. He was listed 66th in Forbes India top 100 Celebrities for 2012 with an annual income of ₹19Crore(US$3.042 Million). Jr. NTR is also involved in politics and is currently an active member of his paternal grandfather's political party, the Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
Jr. NTR was born on 20 May 1983 in Hyderabad madhapur to Telugu film actor and politician Nandamuri Harikrishna and Shalini. He is the grandson of veteran Telugu actor and former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh NTR. Jr. NTR did his schooling from Vidyaranya High School, Hyderabad, following which he completed his Intermediate education at St. Mary's College, Hyderabad. Jr. NTR is a trained Kuchipudi dancer.
He is the half-brother of actor and producer, Nandamuri Kalyan Ram, the nephew of actor and politician Nandamuri Balakrishna and politician and current Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, N. Chandrababu Naidu, and the cousin of actor Taraka Ratna and politician Nara Lokesh.
It is rumoured that Jr.NTR has dated with Sameera Reddy for one year and that didn't worked out. Jr. NTR married Narne Lakshmi Pranathi, the daughter of Narne Srinivasa Rao, the owner of the Telugu news channel Studio N and a relative of Nara Chandrababu Naidu, on 5 May 2011 at Hitex Exhibition Center, Madhapur. They have one son, Abhay Ram.
After the success of the debut film "Bala Ramayanam" director K. Raghavendra Rao recommended Jr. NTR to director S. S. Rajamouli to act in his debut Student No. 1, during mid-2000 after being impressed with his performance in the auditions and his previous film Bala Ramayanam However the film went under production for so long. He was later signed producer Ramoji Rao, and decided to work on the romantic drama Ninnu Choodalani to make his debut as a full-time hero. By that time, he was only 17 in his debut film. The film had another debutant Raveena Rajput, and consisted of an ensemble cast of K. Viswanath, and Kaikala Satyanarayana who played their grandparents. The film created a lot of hype as the grandson of the late NTR was going to debut. The film received negative reviews, and was a huge failure. Jr. NTR was criticised of being a hero too along with his female co-star. But that failure did not stop him from getting more offers. He then started working on his delayed project produced by veteran C. Ashwini Dutt. The film Student No. 1 directed by SS Rajamouli, became a success at the box office. The story was about a college student who was facing murder charges. There were remakes in Tamil and Hindi.
He then signed up for another debutant director VV Vinayak's Aadi. For the first time, he played a youth cum action hero, who is trying to take revenge on a landlord for the death of his parents. The film was one of the highest grossers of 2002, just behind Chiranjeevi's Indra. The film ran for more than 200 days and gave him a fan following due to the success of the film, and he rose from obscurity to stardom. He then signed up for veteran director B. Gopal's Allari Ramudu. The film was an average grosser, but managed to run for more than 100 days. He then signed up for A. M. Rathnam's political thriller Naaga. Though, the film received mixed to positive reviews, his dances became a hit among the audience in the film and his performance was critically aclaimmed. He then collaborated with the same director SS Rajamouli for the action masala film Simhadri. He gave a new look, in order to get rid of the youth one, and grew a light beard. This film became a huge blockbuster,and became all time industry hit giving him the title of Young Tiger. He later quit youth films and started experimenting with faction dramas.
Jr. NTR later signed up Puri Jagannadh's Andhrawala, which was an action drama. The director, had successful releases in the past year, and this film created a lot of hype. He played a leader of the village. The film became a huge disaster, turning as a huge setback for the actor, as he was almost having competition with Chiranjeevi. The film was an expensive film made with a budget of 10 crores. He then signed up another faction film, Samba with his old director V. V. Vinayak. The film received mixed to positive reviews, but managed to top the box office for several weeks. The film became his only blockbuster during that period. For the first time in his career, he experimented by acting in a family drama film Naa Alludu. He played a dual role of Karthik, a responsible man who has an aim to work in a good business company and Murugan, a Tamil- speaking villager who works in the business of coconut water. However, despite having a huge cast, the film was totally slammed by critics and became one of the biggest flops of all time in Tollywood. He then collaborated with director B. Gopal for a film Narasimhudu who was riding high on the success of Indra. Bollywood actresses Ameesha Patel, and Sameera Reddy were selected, with the latter making her Telugu debut. The film despite huge fanfare, became another disaster. He lost his position among the top heroes of Tollywood. Jr. NTR took a one-year hiatus, and then later signed up for Surender Reddy's Ashok. The director just delivered a blockbuster with his older half-brother Kalyan Ram. The film saw him pairing with Sameera Reddy for the second time. However, the film gained mixed to negative reviews, and became a financial failure for the producers, thus continuing his string of failures. Most of his films during this period were either disasters or failures, with Samba being his only hit during this period. His career got hampered, completely.
Jr. NTR later signed up for Krishna Vamsi's experimental Rakhi. The film was a social drama cum brother-sister sentiment. For this film, he had to speak a lot of dialogues. Veteran actress Suhasini Maniratnam acted as a police officer from Tamil Nadu in this film. The film received favorable reviews but was a moderate grosser. However, the film is considered to be one of Jr. NTR's finest performances in his career. Despite being an average grosser, Rakhi managed to resurrect his career.
Jr. NTR collaborated with director SS Rajamouli for the third and final time for a socio – fantasy film Yamadonga. For this film, he had to sport a new look by shedding more than 20 kg. as he used to be 94 kg. Veteran actors and actresses Mohan Babu and Kushboo signed up to act in this film. Jr. NTR played Raja, a thief who later criticizes and insults Yama and then suddenly goes into heaven due to some bad acts. The film received extremely positive reviews, and later brought him back to the top league in Tollywood, and this film made him receive a Filmfare award for best actor in Telugu. Late actor Sobhan Babu praised Jr. NTR's performance too.
Jr. NTR later signed up for the action film Kantri which was directed by debutant Meher Ramesh a protege of Puri Jagannadh. The film though receiving mixed reviews, earned some attention, as Jr. NTR's dances helped it. Jr. NTR's dance steps in the song "I Go Crazy" and "123 Nenoka Kantri" were highly appreciated by many critics. In 2009, Jr. NTR took a year hiatus in order to join politics, but later returned to films, as a result of his failed political stint..
Jr. NTR signed up for the action-comedy Adhurs, in which he played dual roles for the third time after Andhrawala, and Naa Alludu, after a 1-year-hiatus. The film became a super hit due to the hilarious episodes and great comedy timing done by Jr. NTR. Adhurs grossed more than 40 crores. Adhurs released in early 2010 and managed to gross more than 50 crores and was termed a semi-hit at the box office. He then returned to romantic films after a 9-year gap. His second release, the romantic comedy Brindavanam was directed by Vamsi Paidipally and produced by ace producer Dil Raju who is known for romantic films. He was paired opposite beauties Kajal Aggarwal and Samantha Ruth Prabhu. The film received positive reviews, became a commercial success and emerged to be one of the highest grossers of 2010, beating his uncle's Simha. His position in Tollywood went sky-high due to the consecutive successes.
Jr. NTR collaborated with Kantri director Meher Ramesh for a historical fantasy action film Shakti. The film was very expensive and was produced on a budget of 42 crores. He paired with Ileana D'Cruz for the second time after the critically acclaimed Rakhi. The film amidst huge fanfare and hype became a huge disaster, but did not have much effect on Jr. NTR's career, as he was among the top heroes of Tollywood. He then collaborated with Ashok director Surender Reddy for the romantic action film Oosaravelliin which he was paired opposite Tamannaah. Though the film received mixed reviews stating that the film was only for hardcore NTR fans, it became an average grosser at the box office competing with Dookudu. His along with his female lead's performances were critically acclaimed. He was placed 20th in the Forbes list of India's top celebrities and he is the best actor in tollywood.
Jr. NTR for the first time, signed Boyapati Srinu's fourth venture Dammu, with the latter riding high on the success of his previous venture Simha. The film saw him pairing opposite Trisha Krishnan and Karthika Nair. Dammu again received mixed reviews, but NTR's performance was highly appreciated by the critics. Garnering mixed reviews,family politics, Dammu however managed to cross 36 crores at the worldwide box office.
Jr ntr signed Sreenu Vaitla movie name Baadshah Kajal aggarwal heroine role after Brindavanam.For this film, he gave a new look by straightening his curly hair, and growing a beard, in order to suit the don image. The film won positive reviews and became a commercial success plus comeback for Jr. NTR, after 3 colossal failures. The film became a sleeper hit. Baadshah's final figures was over 48 crores in 50 days. Times of India, described his performance as a cakewalk, and described his comic timing as a commendable show. His dances and emotions were described as impressive.
Jr. NTR's next release of 2013, was the revenge drama Ramayya Vasthavayya, directed by Harish Shankar which created lots of expectations. The film had him pairing opposite to Shruti Hassan for the first time, and Samantha Ruth Prabhu for the second time. Ramayya Vasthavayya however failed to reach the expectations and received mixed to negative reviews, due to old story,lack of comedy. However, his performance was well received by critics. The Times of India described his performance by stating "The film is packaged entirely around its hero with NTR looking uber cool and as stylish as ever. He got into the skin of the character and has delivered a fantastic performance to shoulder the film. All in all, Ramayya Vasthavayya's first half is a fun-ride as you see NTR in his elements."
His next and only release of 2014, Rabhasa, became a subsequent failure, despite huge expectations though his performance was praised. Many stated that he should forget about formula films. His status as a star is now being questioned by many film circles.
This was the worst period in Jr. NTR's career and Baadshah was the only film which gave him success. It was Baadshah which provided him stardom in Japan. Baadshah was premiered at the Osaka Asian Film Festival 2014 held in Japan.
After couple of commercial flops, 2015 was to be considered a golden year in Jr.NTR's career. Kajal Aggarwal heroine in this film after successful films Brindavanam and Baadshah. Both Jr.NTR and the director Puri Jagannadh bounced back into success with Temper which was one of the box office hits of the year.
After Nannaku Prematho, he will be starring in Koratala Siva's movie. This movie is tentatively titled Janatha Garage, and is scheduled to release on August 12, 2016. This movie might star Samantha Ruth Prabhu, or Parineeti Chopra as the female lead.
Political stint and accident
Tarak was one of the campaigners for the Telugu Desam Party, for the Indian general election, 2009 from April to May 2009. On 26 March 2009, after electioneering, en route to Hyderabad, the SUV in which he was a passenger was struck head-on with another vehicle, at Khammam. He and his companions were thrown from the SUV and suffered injuries. Tas treated at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, in Secunderabad, where he recuperated.
In 2009, Jr. NTR donated 20 lakhs to Chief Minister's Relief Fund to take up relief operations for kurnool flood victims. During Baadshah audio function in 2013, a fan died due to a heavy stampede, NTR along with producer Bandla Ganesh donated 5 lakhs to his family. Jr. NTR also promised to take care of his family, due to the fan's sudden demise.
In 2014, Jr. NTR donated 20 lakhs to CM's Relief Fund to take up relief operations for hudhud cyclone victims in Andhra Pradesh.
Awards and nominations
- "Movies – Bollywood (Hindi), Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, English (Hollywood) Movies database – Oneindia Entertainment". http://entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Jr. NTR alumnus. Tollycircle.com. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.
- "Jr Ntr Profile Page and Complete Biography.". 25cineframes.com. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "'NTR’s Baadshah in Japanese Film Festival'". 123telugu.com. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Jr NTR: Brand ambassador of 'Zandu Balm' : Currentweek: Cinema – News: Collections: Music Reviews: Box Office. Cinema.currentweek.net. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.
- NT Rama Rao Jr – Forbes India Magazine. Forbesindia.com. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.
- "Junior NTR – Profile and Biography | Veethi". veethi.com. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- IndiaGlitz – NTR's Kuchipudi dance in 'Kantri' – Telugu Movie News. Indiaglitz.com (5 May 2008). Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- SET MAX | Bollywood Movies Extra Shots Sony Max Television | popular Hindi Movie Channel | IPL cricket live. Maxtelevision.com (31 October 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- Jr. NTR family Marriage Photo. Tollywoodblog.in. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.
- Jr NTR Celebrates Birthday by Posting 10-Month-Old Sons Pictures on Twitter – NDTV Movies. Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.
- "I love being called NTR's grandson". Times of India.com. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Ninnu Choodalani". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Holding fort". Life Hyderabad. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Escapist Fare". Metro Plus Hyderabad. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Andhrawala arrives". Metro Plus Coimbatore. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Samba – A Breeze for Jr. NTR Fans". India Glitz. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Samba". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Movie Review: Ashok". Movie Buzz. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Kantri Telugu Movie Review". India Glitz. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Brindavanam Hungama Starts". SuperGoodMovies. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "With 9 Crore Tag, NTR is next only to Rajini". Greatandhra. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "After Aadi & Simhadri it will be Oosaravelli". 123Telugu. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Review-in-pics: Oosaravelli". NDTV.
- B.V.S. Prakash. "Ooseravelli review: Jr NTR tries his hand at humour". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "NTR Baadshah Review". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Baadshah Review: Jolly Summer Treat". Greatandhra.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Baadshah Telugu movie review highlights". TNN. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Ramayya Vasthavayya Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "NTR-Koratala Siva project launched". Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Samantha in ntr Jonathan garage". India Glitz. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "It’s a toss between Samantha and Parineeti for NTR’s next". Times of India. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- "Front Page : Accident puts brakes on NTR Jr. campaign". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 28 March 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "Front Page : NTR Jr. discharged from hospital". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 11 April 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Bring back TDP to power: NTR junior". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 14 April 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh News : NTR Jr. lashes out at Chief Minister". Hinduonnet.com. 22 March 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh News : Redeem Telugu pride, NTR Jr. tells people". Hinduonnet.com. 22 March 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Junior NTR to hit the road tomorrow". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 11 March 2009. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- Junior NTR injured in car accident – Indian Express. Indianexpress.com (27 March 2009). Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- "Jr NTR Donates 200 lakhs to flood victims". Hyderabad, India: The Hindu. 6 October 2009.
- "Fan crushed to death at audio release of NTR's Baadshah". Hyderabad, India: Deccan Chronicle. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "NTR announces 20 lakhs for HudHud cyclone relief fund". Hyderabad, India: The Times of India. 14 October 2014.
- jr.ntr is now brand ambassador for zandu balm – Tollywood Updatez – Andhra BoxOffice Discussion Board. Andhraboxoffice.com. Retrieved on 1 September 2015.