Juan Díaz Canales
|Juan Díaz Canales|
Juan Diaz Canales at Lucca Comics & Games 2015
At an early age, Juan Díaz Canales became interested in comics and their creation, which progressed and broadened out to include animated films. At the age of 18, he entered a school for animation. In 1996 he founded, together with three other artists, a company called Tridente Animation. Through this, he has worked with European and American companies, providing plots and scripts for comics and animation films, as well as directing animated television series and animation movies.
During this period he met Juanjo Guarnido, with whom Canales decided to create comics based around a private investigator, Blacksad. After contacting several editors, Guarnido and Canales finally signed on with French publisher Dargaud, and in November 2000, Quelque part entre les ombres (Somewhere within the Shadows) was published. It was a great success with both critics and the public, and was awarded the Prix de la Découverte at the Sierre International Comics Festival and the "Avenir" Prize at the Lys-lez-Lannoy Festival, in Switzerland and France respectively. In March 2003 the second album Arctic-Nation, was released. It was once again a great success, winning the Angoulême Audience Award and the Festival Prize for Artwork in 2004. The third instalment of the Blacksad series, Âme Rouge (Red Soul), was published in 2005. In 2006 it was awarded the Angoulême Prize for a Series.
- Blacksad series (Dargaud)
- Somewhere Within the Shadows (2000)
- Arctic Nation (2003)
- Red Soul (2005)
- A Silent Hell (2010)
- Amarillo (2013)
- 2000: Prize for Best First Album at the Lys-lez-Lannoy festival 
- 2000: Prix spécial at the Rœulx (Belgium) festival 
- 2000: Prix Némo at the Maisons-Laffitte festival 
- 2000: Prix découverte at Sierre International Comics Festival 
- 2001: Best Artwork Award at Festival de Chambéry 
- 2002: Best Artwork Award at Grand Prix Albert Uderzo 
- 2003: Prix spécial du jury au Sierre International Comics Festival 
- 2004: Angoulême Audience Award, for Arctic-Nation
- 2004: Angoulême Best Artwork Award, for Arctic-Nation
- 2004: Virgin Prize for Best Album, for Arctic-Nation 
- 2006: Angoulême Best Series Award, for the Blacksad series 
- 2006: Bédéis Causa - Prix Maurice Petitdier for the best foreign comic at the Festival de la BD francophone de Québec for Blacksad
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan Díaz Canales.|
- Lambiek Comiclopedia. "Juanjo Guarnido".
- Mollat libraire. "Dossier : Angoulême 2006, le palmarès" (in French).
- Dargaud. "Canales, Juan Diaz" (in French).
- BDzone. "Les prix du festival de Sierre" (in French).
- Catsuka. "Juanjo Guarnido" (in French).
- ToutEnBD. ""Blacksad" prix Virgin Mégastore de la BD 2004" (in French).
- "Bédéis Causa 2006 remis lors de la 19e édition du FBDFQ" (in French). Festival de la BD francophone de Québec. Retrieved 25 May 2011.