Juan F. Vasquez
Vasquez attended Fox Tech High School and San Antonio Junior College, where he studied Data Processing; he received of B.B.A. in Accounting from the University of Texas at Austin in 1972. After working for two years as an accountant, he attended one year of law school at the State University of New York in Buffalo, but earned his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 1977, followed by an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University Law School in 1978.
After a stint as trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service, Vasquez became a partner in the law firm of Leighton, Hood and Vasquez from 1982–87, and had a private practice as a tax lawyer in San Antonio from 1987-1995. He was appointed by President Bill Clinton as Judge, United States Tax Court, on May 1, 1995, for a term ending April 30, 2010. On August 5, 2010, Judge Vasquez was nominated for reappointment by President Barack Obama, but the United States Senate failed to act on the nomination. Vasquez entered senior status on May 1, 2010, and remained on senior status while awaiting Senate confirmation of his nomination for reappointment. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 26, 2011. Vasquez was reconfirmed on October 13, 2011, for a term ending October 12, 2026.
Admissions and activities
- Admitted to State Bar of Texas, 1977.
- Certified in Tax Law by Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1984.
- Certified Public Accountant Certificate from Texas, 1976, and California, 1974.
- Admitted to United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1982, and Western District of Texas, 1985, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1982.
- Member of American Bar Association, Tax Section; Texas State Bar, Tax and Probate Section; Fellow of Texas and San Antonio Bar Foundations.
- Mexican American Bar Association (MABA) of San Antonio (Treasurer); Houston MABA; Texas MABA (Treasurer)
- National Association of Hispanic CPA's; San Antonio Chapter (founding member)
- College of State Bar of Texas
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia 
- member of Greater Austin Tax Litigation Association
- served on Austin Internal Revenue Service District Director's Practitioner Liaison Committee, 1990–91, chairman, 1991.
- Judge Juan F. Vasquez, United States Tax Court, retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, Newsroom America (January 26, 2011).
- "Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "United States Tax Court website".
|This biography of a judge of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|