Juan F. Vasquez
|Judge of the United States Tax Court|
October 13, 2011 – June 24, 2018
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Succeeded by||Travis A. Greaves|
May 1, 1995 – April 30, 2010
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Edna G. Parker|
|Born||1948 (age 71–72)|
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin|
University of Houston Law Center
New York University School of Law
Early life and education
Vasquez attended Fox Tech High School and San Antonio Junior College, where he studied Data Processing. He received of B.B.A. in Accounting from the University of Texas at Austin in 1972. After working for two years as an accountant at Coopers and Lybrand, he attended one year of law school at the State University of New York in Buffalo, ultimately earning his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 1977. Vasquez earned an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University Law School in 1978. He is also a certified public accountant.
After serving as trial attorney for the Internal Revenue Service from 1978–1982, Vasquez became a partner in the law firm of Leighton, Hood and Vasquez from 1982–87, and had a private practice as a tax lawyer in San Antonio from 1987–1995.
Vasquez has served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Houston Law Center, where he teaches Tax Controversy and Litigation.
Vasquez was appointed by President Bill Clinton as Judge, United States Tax Court, on May 1, 1995, for a term ending April 30, 2010. On August 5, 2010, Judge Vasquez was nominated for reappointment by President Barack Obama, but the United States Senate failed to act on the nomination. Vasquez entered senior status on May 1, 2010, and remained on senior status while awaiting Senate confirmation of his nomination for reappointment. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 26, 2011. Vasquez was reconfirmed on October 13, 2011, for a term ending October 12, 2026. He assumed senior status on June 24, 2018.
Admissions and activities
- Admitted to State Bar of Texas, 1977.
- Certified in Tax Law by Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1984.
- Certified Public Accountant Certificate from Texas, 1976, and California, 1974.
- Admitted to United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1982, and Western District of Texas, 1985, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1982.
- Member of American Bar Association, Tax Section; Texas State Bar, Tax and Probate Section; Fellow of Texas and San Antonio Bar Foundations.
- Mexican American Bar Association (MABA) of San Antonio (Treasurer); Houston MABA; Texas MABA (Treasurer)
- National Association of Hispanic CPA's; San Antonio Chapter (founding member)
- College of State Bar of Texas
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- member of Greater Austin Tax Litigation Association
- served on Austin Internal Revenue Service District Director's Practitioner Liaison Committee, 1990–91, chairman, 1991.
- Judge Juan F. Vasquez, United States Tax Court, retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, Newsroom America (January 26, 2011).
- "Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-09.[permanent dead link]
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document: "United States Tax Court website".
|This biography of a judge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|