Juan Garaizabal Marsans
20 March 1971
Juan Garaizabal (born 1971 in Madrid) is a Spanish plastic artist, Garaizabal's work encompasses drawings, sculpture, light and acoustic installations, video art, and engraving. According to the journal El País one of the most international Spanish Artist. The most visible part of his work are his monumental public sculptures. His "Urban Memories", structures intertwining sculpture and illumination, are a recuperation of long-lost architectural elements occupying vacant, historical sites.
Initially a conceptual artist, a large part of his work has been done by hand, using such techniques as forging, carpentry, electricity, plasticity, and masonry – all skills acquired through time and experimentation. As of 2008, his main studio is in Berlin, Germany, although he maintains another in Madrid, Spain and a third one in Miami, United States.
- 2006: Bosque de Flores, Valencia, Spain.
- 2007: Memoria Urbana Bucharest, Uranus Area. Noaptea Alba, Romania.
- 2011: Archives Stairway. Private collection. Connecticut, United States.
- 2012: Memoria Urbana Berlin, Germany.
- 2013: Memoria del Giardino Venice, Italy. Curated by Barbara Rose.
- 2016: Memoria Urbana Miami; Havana's Balcony, United States of America.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan Garaizabal.|