|Birth name||Juan Sebastian Garcia-Herreros|
|Also known as||Snow Owl|
|Born||July 1, 1977|
|Genres||World music, Latin jazz, Orchestral|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, Composer, Bassist, Director|
|Instruments||Electric contrabass guitar|
|Labels||Inner Circle Music Europe|
|Associated acts||Snow Owl|
Juan Garcia-Herreros, also known as "The Snow Owl", is a native born Colombian Bassist & Composer, notable for his virtuoso musicianship and for his use of a customised 6-stringed Electric Contrabass Guitar. He has been credited by multiple music journalists and Bass publications as one of the most influential Bassists of all time.
Juan Garcia-Herreros was born in Bogotá, Colombia. His first musical studies began with Flute at the age 9 after moving to New York City with his family. Once he completed middle school his family relocated once again to Dunedin, Florida where he discovered the electric bass. Due to the fact that his family was unable to afford private lessons his passion for learning fueled him to become a self-taught musician. Juan was just 16 when he began to teach Music Theory and Jazz Performance at Dunedin High School in Florida. His highschool band teacher recognized his young talent and encouraged him to also study acoustic bass so that he could be a part of the symphonic band in school. After spending many dedicated hours playing both acoustic and electric bass, he auditioned and became proficient enough to perform with the Tampa Bay Symphony at just 17 years of age.
At age 21, he returned to New York City to pursue a professional music career. While in New York, Juan developed the ability to meet the demands of multiple styles. Whether the musical genre is Jazz, Pop, Funk, Salsa, straight-ahead, Rock, Modern, Classical, Heavy metal, or Avant-garde he is capable of performing without artistic compromise.
At age 30, he was selected by a jury to become part of the faculty for the Jazz Institute of the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz. He was the first Colombian to be honored with such an academic position in Austria. He left the Jazz Institute in the fall of 2012 due to a very busy touring schedule.
At age 37, he was Nominated for a Latin Grammy Award in the category of Best Latin Jazz Album, for his third CD release entitled "Normas". He is the first Electric Bassist ever to be nominated for this category.
At age 39, he was awarded Triple Gold Medal and One Bronze honors from the prestigious Global Music Awards in the categories of World Jazz, Best Album, Best New Release 2016 and Instrumental Music. He is the first Colombian born Artist and Electric Bassist to ever receive this honour. This award has placed him amongst a small group of elite musical legends such as previous Gold Medallists Anna Netrebko, Gustavo Dudamel, Ricky Kej and Esperanza Spalding
Performances and collaborations
During his career, Juan has performed and collaborated with:
- Grammy Award recipients Al Jarreau, Christina Aguilera, Lebo M, Lalo Schifrin, Cheick Tidiane Seck, Paul Avgerinos, Kabir Sehgal, Alex Sipiagin, Elton John, The Spanish Harlem Orchestra
- Oscar nominee David Newman, Boston Pops Orchestra director Keith Lockhart and the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra.
- Oscar and Grammy winning composers Danny Elfman, James Horner, James Newton Howard, Alexandre Desplat and Randy Newman
- New Age pioneer, Best Selling Author and Quill Award recipient Deepak Chopra
- Singers Brian Mcknight, Louise Dearman, Deborah Cox, Sandra Pires, Madita, Turkish Pop Stars Sertab Erener and Demir Demirkan
- Drummers Stoyan Yankoulov, Jojo Mayer, Terri Lyne Carrington, Thomas Lang and Antonio Sanchez.
- Alto saxophonists James Spaulding, Miguel Zenon and Greg Osby.
- James Brown Musical director and Tenor Saxophone Icon Pee Wee Ellis.
- Trumpetists Lew Soloff and Michael Philip Mossman.
- Balafon master Mamadou Diabate & Percussion Mania
- Latin Jazz Piano legend Oscar Hernandez.
- Latin Jazz Percussionists Horacio Hernandez, Master Timbalero "Chino" Nuñes, Roberto Quintero and Bobby Sanabria.
- Jazz Guitarists Mark Whitfield, Alegre Correa and ECM recording artist José Maria Saluzzi.
- Modern Jazz Pianists Sabri Tulug Tirpan, Bill Carrothers, Paul Urbanek and Edward Simon.
- He has also performed and toured with RMM recording artists Michael Stuart and Johnny Rivera.
As a composer his original compositions have been featured in the off-Broadway production of "Anatomy of a Knucklehead".
He has taught Bass Masterclasses in Berklee College of Music and at multiple international universities.
Snow Owl's performances have included major festivals and venues stretching from the continents of Asia, Europe and the Americas
Awards and recognitions
- In 2006 Snow Owl received the Best Jazz Artist award by Jazz First, a cooperation between Jazzeit Magazine, Quinton Records and Erste Bank.
- His debut album, Snow Owl, Quartet as a leader was selected as Critic's Choice in Germany by Bayerischer Rundfunk in 2006.
- November 2008 Hans Koller Preis CD of the Year for Martin Reiter's "ALMA". The CD features Juan Garcia-Herreros on "Pra Frederic".
- February 2009 He was selected as a Projekt X-Change Ambassador to represent Colombia and his integration as an artist in Austrian society. Projekt x-change focuses in bringing foreign and established public figures into Austrian classrooms to talk about their positive and negative experiences of integrating in a foreign country. The Austrian president Dr.Heinz Fischer personally thanked and congratulated him in the opening ceremonies which took place in Vienna's Hofburg palace.
- 2010 Art of Contrabass Guitar is selected winner of Best Traditional Latin Jazz album in America by O's Jazz Newsletter.
- 2011 Austrian World Music Prize recipient with Mamadou Diabate's Percussion Mania.
- 2013 Art of Contrabass Guitar is selected by Bass Musician Magazine as one of the most 21 influential Latin Jazz CDs of the decade.
- 2014 Latin Grammy Nomination in the category of Best Latin Jazz Album - Normas 
- 2016 Global Music Awards Gold Medallist in the category of World Jazz for the album The Blue Road
- 2016 Global Music Awards Gold Medallist in the category of Best Album for the Album The Blue Road 
- 2016 Global Music Awards Gold Medallist in the category of Best New Release 2016 for the Album The Blue Road 
- 2016 Global Music Awards Bronze Medallist in the category of Instrumental Music 
- 2017 In Celebration of the 50th Anniversary release of Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band, Bass_Guitar_(magazine) recreated the timeless cover artwork with 82 of the most influential Bassists of all time standing behind Paul_McCartney. Juan Garcia-Herreros was included within this distinguished group on the top row.
- 2017 Selected as a Quarter Finalist by the Music Video Underground committee in Los Angeles for his Animated short film Directorial debut of the song "She Became a Thousand Birds". The short film is an homage for Omayra Sanchez and all of the victims from the 1985 Volcanic tragedy of Armero in Colombia. The film sets out to provide a dialogue over the necessity for countries to have disaster preparations installed in high risk regions.
- Snow Owl
- 3 Feathers
- Mamadou Diabate's Percussion Mania
- Hollywood in Vienna
|2012||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of Lalo Schifrin|
|2013||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of James Horner|
|2014||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of Randy Newman|
|2015||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of James Newton Howard|
|2016||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of Alexandre Desplat|
|2017||Hollywood in Vienna||Electric Bass||Music of Danny Elfman|
|2017||She Became a Thousand Birds||Director||Animated Short Music Film|
- Salzburger Nachrichten
- "Detail". Kug.ac.at. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Sonic Pages Vienna December 2008
- "Hollywood in Vienna". Hollywood in Vienna. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Jazzeit Magazine issue 59.
- [dead link]
- "/ CD OF THE YEAR / 2003". Hanskollerpreis.at. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- Kurier Zeitung February 19 Chronik
- "2010 Best Traditional Jazz". Osplacejazz.com. Archived from the original on 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-07-09.
- "Austrian World Music Awards | Facebook". Austrianworldmusicawards.eu. 2014-07-18. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- "Bass Musician Mag - Bass Guitar Magazine Informing, Educating and Connecting Bass Players Worldwide". Bassmusicianmagazine.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2014-08-09.