Juan Luis Rodríguez-Vigil
|Juan Luis Rodríguez-Vigil|
|3rd President of the Principality of Asturias|
July 11, 1991 – June 18, 1993
|Monarch||Juan Carlos I|
|Preceded by||Pedro de Silva|
|Succeeded by||Antonio Trevín|
March 15, 1945 |
Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Spain
|Political party||Spanish Socialist Workers' Party (PSOE)|
He was born in Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Spain, but soon moved to Infiesto (Piloña) where he remained until he was 13, at which time he moved to Oviedo. As a teenager, he contracted pneumonia and was bedridden for an extended period at the family home in Teverga where he spent time reading books in his uncle's 19th-century library. Rodriguez-Vigil studied law at the University of Oviedo, and joined the Popular Liberation Front.
He worked in the Ministry of Industry and the Ministry of Public Works and Transport in Madrid. After requesting a leave of absence, he served as a labor lawyer for the Unión General de Trabajadores in Oviedo. He served as Minister of Health and Social Security from 1982 to 1991.
In 1971, he joined the PSOE. He belonged to several regional executive committees, and was regional executive secretary until 1991. Between 1982 and 1991, he was part of various regional governments. In the regional elections of May 1991, he was elected as a deputy and sworn in President of the Principality of Asturias. On May 31, 1993, he was forced to resign after the Petromocho petrochemical scandal, taking responsibility in the matter. He is a member of the Advisory Council of the Principality of Asturias.
Rodriguez-Vigil is married with three children. In 2005, he published the book The neighborhood and community mountains of Asturias. An African art expert, he is also knowledgeable of the architectural heritage of Asturias, as well as romantic adventure literature. On January 10, 2006, he became a fellow of the Royal Institute of Asturian Studies (RIDEA).
- Los montes comunales y vecinales de Asturias (2005)
- Integración o desmoronamiento. Crisis y alternativas del sistema nacional de salud español (2008)
- Geografía Sagrada de Asturias (2010)
- La sanidad pública en Asturias (2009, 2010)
- El futuro del medio rural asturiano (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Bello, Xuan. "Clave de fondo – Xuan Bello – Juan Luis Rodríguez Vigil" (in Asturian). Radiotelevisión del Principado de Asturias. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Rodríguez-Vigil hablará este miércoles en el Ridea sobre 'Caciquismo tradicional y neocaciquismo democrático'". EUROPA PRESS (in Spanish). 20minutos.es. February 29, 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Rodríguez-Vigil formaliza su dimisión como presidente de Asturias" (in Asturian). El Pais. June 1, 2003. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- "Rodríguez-Vigil recuerda la ´dignidad´ de Marqués tras ser expulsado del PP" (in Asturian). La Nueva España. May 8, 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
Pedro de Silva
|President of the Principality of Asturias