|Juan Mayr Maldonado|
Juan Mayr Maldonado, 2013
|Colombia Ambassador to Germany|
19 October 2011
|President||Juan Manuel Santos Calderón|
|Preceded by||Victoriana Mejía Marulanda|
|5th Colombian Minister of Environment|
7 August 1998 – 7 August 2002
|President||Andrés Pastrana Arango|
|Preceded by||Eduardo Verano de la Rosa|
|Succeeded by||Cecilia Rodríguez González-Rubio|
27 May 1952 |
Bogotá, D.C., Colombia
|Spouse(s)||Marcela Nieto Heguy|
Juan Mayr Maldonado (born 27 May 1952) is a Colombian photographer and environmentalist currently serving as Ambassador of Colombia to Germany. From 1993 to 1996, Mayr was elected Vice President of the World Conservation Union. In 1998 he became Minister of Environment of Colombia. He has also been president of the United Nations' conference on Biosafety.
Mayr was awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize in 1993, for leading a struggle for protecting biodiversity in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. He lived two years with the Kogi, and founded the Fundación Pro-Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta in 1986. In 1994 the Colombian government returned 19,500 hectares of traditional lands to the indigenous peoples of the Sierra Nevada.
On 30 August 2011, President Juan Manuel Santos Calderón appointed Mayr Ambassador of Colombia to Germany during a ceremony at the Palace of Nariño; Mayr presented his credentials to President Christian Wulff on 19 October 2011 at the Bellevue Palace.
- "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- Mark Coatney: "'Frankenfood' Gets Labels___ Sort Of" Time Magazine - January, 2000 (Retrieved on January 4, 2008)
- Goldman Environmental Prize – South & Central America 1993: "Juan Mayr" Archived 2007-12-04 at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved on January 4, 2008)
- "Se posesionó Juan Mayr como nuevo Embajador de Colombia en Alemania" [New Ambassador of Colombia to Germany, Juan Mayr Was Sworn In] (in Spanish). Bogotá: Colombia, Press Office of the President (SIG). 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "Akkreditierung ausländischer Botschafter" [Accreditation of Foreign Ambassadors] (in German). Berlin: Germany, Bundespräsidialamt. 2011-10-19. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- Mayr Maldonado, Juan (September–October 2008). "The Law of The Mother" (Article). Resurgence (250). ISSN 0034-5970. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan Mayr Maldonado.|
|This article about a Colombian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|