Nieves with the Chicago White Sox
|Miami Marlins – No. 47|
|Pitcher / Coach|
January 5, 1965 |
Santurce, Puerto Rico
|April 10, 1986, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Last MLB appearance|
|October 2, 1988, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
|Earned run average||4.71|
|Career highlights and awards|
Juan Manuel Nieves Cruz (born January 5, 1965 in Santurce, Puerto Rico) is a former professional baseball pitcher and the pitching coach for the Miami Marlins. He is the former pitching coach for the Boston Red Sox. He played for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1986–1988.
On April 15, 1987, against the Baltimore Orioles, became the second-youngest player in major league history to throw a no-hitter, and so far the only Milwaukee Brewer to do so. Nieves' no-hitter became the first ever thrown by a Puerto Rican in Major League Baseball.
After playing for the Brewers from 1986 to 1988, he suffered a career-ending arm injury.
He worked as a minor league pitching instructor for the New York Yankees (1992–1996) and the White Sox (1999–2007) before joining the Chicago White Sox Major League staff as the bullpen coach serving for the five seasons. He was mentored by Don Cooper, first when Cooper was the White Sox' roving coordinator in their minor league hierarchy, and later when Cooper became the pitching coach of the Sox. They became really close, adapting similar pitching styles and was named as "Cooper's right-hand man". He was named Boston's 2013 pitching coach on November 7, 2012. He brought over Cooper's style of pitching to the Red Sox organization. Nieves led the Red Sox to the second lowest earned run average in the American League as the team went on to win the World Series. After earning the second highest team ERA (4.86) to start the 2015 season, Nieves was dismissed by the Boston Red Sox on May 7, 2015.
- Costello, Rory, Juan Nieves. Society for American Baseball Research biography project
- Juan Nieves' New England journey http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8968332/juan-nieves-pride-avon-old-farms-back-new-england-boston-red-sox-pitching-coach
- Flaherty, Tom (17 April 1987). "Brewers' patience is rewarded". Milwaukee Journal. p. C1. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- Haudricourt, Tom (October 23, 2013). "Former Brewer Juan Nieves in the middle of Boston's turnaround". The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- MacPherson, Brian (August 30, 2013). "Juan Nieves has brought White Sox pitching program to Red Sox". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|Awards and achievements|
April 15, 1987
|Boston Red Sox pitching coach
|Miami Marlins pitching coach