Juan Pablo Villalobos
Juan Pablo Villalobos is a Mexican writer and entrepreneur. He is the author of Down the Rabbit Hole (And Other Stories, 2011), which was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award 2011, and Quesadillas (And Other Stories, 2013).
He studied marketing and Spanish literature. He has worked in market research and published travel stories, as well as literary and film criticism. Villalobos has researched the influence of the avant-garde on the work of César Aira, and the flexibility of pipelines for electrical installations.
Villalobos's first book, Fiesta en la madriguera 21, has been translated into Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Romanian, Dutch and 421 English. Its English translation, Down the Rabbit Hole by Rosalind Harvey, was published in September 2011 by the London publishing house And Other Stories. Down the Rabbit Hole was shortlisted for the 2011 Guardian First Book Award. His second novel, Quesadillas, is also translated by Rosalind Harvey and is set to be published by And Other Stories in 2013.
His latest novel is Te Vendo Un Perro, which is set to be published in English as I’ll Sell You a Dog by And Other Stories in 2016.
In Germany, Villalobos is recognized as an important representative of the so-called 'narco-literature'. His book Fiesta en la madriguera has been called "a disillusioned domestic tale from the dark heartland of Latin American machismo".
- Down the Rabbit Hole trans. Rosalind Harvey. London: And Other Stories, 2011. ISBN 9781908276001
- Quesadillas trans. Rosalind Harvey. London:And Other Stories, 2013. ISBN 9781908276223
- Si viviéramos en un lugar normal, 2012
- Te vendo un perro, 2015
- No voy a pedirle a nadie que me crea, 2016, premio Herralde.
- Guardian First Book Award 2011 Shortlist. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Juan Pablo Villalobos (24 May 2012). "Bodies not corpses". English Pen. Archived from the original on 29 September 2014. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Juan Pablo Villalobos (author page)" (in Spanish). Anagrama. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Fiesta en la madriguera. Anagrama. 2010. ISBN 978-84-339-7212-5.
- "Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos". And Other Stories. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Down the Rabbit Hole. London: And Other Stories. 2011. ISBN 978-1-908276-00-1.
- Lucy Popescu (16 September 2012). "Down the Rabbit Hole, By Juan Pablo Villalobos, trans. Rosalind Harvey". The Independent. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Alison Flood (11 November 2011). "Cancer biography competes with four novels on Guardian First Book award shortlist". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- There Are No Normal Places: An Interview with Juan Pablo Villalobos
- Alice Gribbin (16 December 2011). "Books interview: Juan Pablo Villalobos". New Statesman. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Valentin Schönherr (28 April 2011). "Literatur zum Drogenkrieg in Mexiko. Vom Anspruch, den richtigen Ton zu treffen". WOZ Die Wochenzeitung (in German).
- Ulrich Baron (30 April 2011). "Was sonst nicht im Krimi steht". Die Welt (in German). Retrieved 7 November 2012.