This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Juan Son from backstage
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, noise pop|
|Labels||Universal Music Group|
|Associated acts||Porter, AEIOU|
Juan Carlos Pereda (born January 24, 1984 in Guadalajara, Mexico) is a Mexican singer and composer of experimental music. He was the vocals of the alternative rock band Porter and collaborated with Simone Pace (Blonde Redhead) as the drummer for AEIOU. He also performs solo under the pseudonym Juan Son.
His musical style is described as "a beautiful concoction of confident lyricism, squeezebox rock, Mexican folk, electronic tinkering, and theatrical dance music."
Juan Son, born Juan Carlos Pereda in 1984, started his artistic career in 2001 with Nouveau, a Guadalajara rock band. In 2003, at 19, he sailed off to study at the London Center of Contemporary Music, to return one year later and become part of Porter. The addition of the singer-songwriter from Guadalajara, México, helped them become one of the most popular groups of the indie rock movement in Mexico. Their EP Donde los ponys pastan, and their first album Atemahawke(2007) got to 4th place in the top 100 and stayed in the charts for 30 weeks. After a short successful run, the band broke up due to creative differences, and Juan Son became a solo act. He has stated in interviews that being in Porter had become less inspiring to him and he felt restricted as far as the kind of music he was expected to create.
His first album, Mermaid Sashimi (2009), won him a Latin Grammy nomination. Mermaid Sashimi not only showcases his ability to sing but his ability as a storyteller as well. Juan Son uses techniques such as sound sampling, voice effects, wordless chanting, and writing in three different languages. The vocal effects recreate the imagined sounds of mermaids throughout his recording. According to him, the nature of the English language gives a sense of coldness and practicality, while the Spanish verses add warmth and romance.
In 2010, he moved to New York, where he made the acquaintance of many leading figures in music, such as Bjork and Blonde Redhead. After meeting Simone Pace, the drummer for Blonde Redhead, he requested his help on his next album. The result was Space Hymns, a collaboration between the two under the name AEIOU. They went on to perform at the Sonar Festival in Barcelona, Spain in 2011 and the Bicycle Film Festival in Mexico City in 2012.
Awards and nominations
- 2009: Latin Grammy nomination: Best Alternative Song for "Nada"
- 2009: Rock En Exa
- 2009: Myspace Award Mexico (Internet most voted)
- 2007: Pantalla de Cristal
Featuring festivals and selected appearances
- 2013: Vive Latino 2013 (as Porter)
- 2012 Bicycle Film Festival Mexico City. (as AEIOU)
- 2011: Sonar Barcelona (as AEIOU)
- 2010: Amanda Palmer's Late Night Cabaret, New York, New York
- 2009: All Tomorrow's Parties (music festival) curated by The Breeders, Minehead, England
- 2009: Sxsw, Austin, Texas
- 2009: Mission Creek Music and Arts Festival, San Francisco, California
- 2009: Latin Grammy Awards Las Vegas, Nevada
- 2009: Fontanas (with John Cameron Mitchell), New York, New York
- 2008: Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, Indio, California (as Porter)
- 2007: Los Premios MTV Latinoamérica 2007, Playa del Carmen, Mexico (as Porter)
- 2007: Vive Latino 2007 (as Porter)
- 2006: Vive Latino 2006 (as Porter)
- 2005: Vive Latino 2005 (as Porter)
- 2009: Mermaid Sashimi: Wrote
- 2009: Nada
- 2008: Daphne, as Porter, Wrote
- 2008: Host of a Ghost, as Porter, Wrote, Directed
- 2007: Espiral, as Porter
- "Libertades" collaboration with Simon Pace - Single(2019)
- "Abandonado" collaboration with Transgresorcorruptor - Single(2019).
- " 11:59 P.M." collaboration with Transgresorcorruptor - Single(2019).
- Montaña (single, 2019)
- Siento (single, 2018)
- Where are the lyrics (single, 2018)
- Oceania (single, 2018)
- Liberte (single, 2018)
- Flying over the wall (single, 2018)
- Benvenuti (single, 2018)
- 7 (2016)
- Space Hymns (2011), (Mexico Only) International release not yet scheduled
As Juan Son
- Nos vamos juntos - Un tributo a las canciones de Caifanes y Jaguares (2010) - " Ayer me dijo un ave" - single.
As Juan Son
- Mermaid Sashimi (2009)
- Julieta Venegas - "De Mis Pasos" (2008) Unplugged
- Los Odio! - "I Want You To Want Me" (2008) Soundtrack to Rudo y Cursi (Disco Rudo)
- Natalia Lafourcade - "Look Outside" (2009) Hu Hu Hu
- Reyes, Carlos. "Meet Aeiou: A Former Mexican Rocker Embarks On An Intergalactic Pop Voyage". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- "::. Sonar .:: AEIOU". 2011.sonar.es. 2011-06-18. Archived from the original on 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Porter - Atemahawke - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Ganadores - Alternativo". Univision.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "ATP curated by The Breeders - All Tomorrow's Parties". Atpfestival.com. Retrieved 2013-09-15.