Juba International Airport
|Juba International Airport|
Juba Airport apron
|IATA: JUB – ICAO: HSSJ|
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of South Sudan|
|Location||Juba, South Sudan|
|Elevation AMSL||1,513 ft / 461 m|
(Central Equatoria state highlighted)
Juba Airport (IATA: JUB, ICAO: HSSJ) is an airport serving Juba, the capital city of South Sudan. The airport lies to the northeast of the city's central business district, on the western banks of the White Nile. The city and airport are located in South Sudan's Central Equatoria state.
It is one of the two international airports in South Sudan, the other one being Malakal International Airport (IATA: MAK, ICAO: HSSM). Juba Airport handles international and local airlines, cargo air traffic and chartered commercial flights. It is also used by the South Sudanese military and by the United Nations UNMISS relief flights for the country.
The runway has two serviceable taxiways C/D. Backtracking is used for all departing aircraft movements.
As of May 2011[update], Juba International Airport was undergoing improvements and expansion. The work on the airport included expansion of the passenger and cargo terminal buildings, resurfacing of the runway and installation of landing lights to facilitate night operations.
As of July 2011[update], Juba International Airport had its new runway light system commissioned with simple approach lights for Runway 13/31, runway edge lights, taxiway lights for Exit Delta, Apron edge lights, illuminated windsocks, ATC tower rotating beacon as well as PAPI for both approaches.
As of July 2014[update], The government announced a runway extension project to commence in September 2014 lasting 30 months. The project will extend the runway by 700 meters and also resurface the existing 2400 metre runway giving a new 3100 metre runway. Building activities for the new terminal building have been underway since 2009 with an estimated completion in early 2015.
Airlines and destinations
Cargo airlines and destinations
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
- Airport information for HSSJ from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for JUB at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Girokonto eröffnen bei der richtigen Ban - Das Girokonto eröffnen und Geld verdienen". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "UAE’s flydubai launches South Sudan route". Arabian Business. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Nova Airways Schedule
- "Rwandair Begins Entebbe – Juba Service from August 2014". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "RwandAir Reschedules South Sudan Service Launch to September 2013". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- South Supreme Airlines, May 2014 Timetable, http://flysouthsupreme.com/timetable/
- Flight Stats, Arrivals for May 26, 2014, http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=MAK&airportQueryType=1
- Location of Juba International Airport At Google Maps
- Current weather for HSSJ at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for JUB at Aviation Safety Network