Judea and Samaria Division
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Judea and Samaria Division|
The Israel Defense Forces Judea and Samaria Division (Hebrew: אוּגְדָּת אֵזוֹר יְהוּדָה וְשׁוֹמְרוֹן, Ugdat Ezor Yehuda VeShomron; also known as the West Bank Division) is a regional division in the Israeli Central Command. It is responsible for Israeli military activity in the Judea and Samaria Area . The current commander of the division is Brigadier General Lior Karmeli, who was appointed to the position in August 2015.
The division was established in 1988 after the outbreak of the First Intifadah. The division serves as a command level for all IDF forces in the West Bank, and as a results is engaged in an ongoing fight against Palestinian political violence within the Palestinian National Authority-administered territory, as well as against attempts by Palestinian militants to infiltrate Israel to commit suicide attacks.
The formal tasks of the division include confronting Palestinian political violence, confronting disturbances of law and order by Palestinians, securing transportation routes in the region, and defending Israeli settlements.
The division carries out various actions and arrests of Palestinian militants on a daily basis. This active level of operations often relies on the sayarot (Israeli special forces), units from the Central Command, the Duvdevan unit, and the Israel Border Police's Yamam.
- 877th "Judea and Samaria" Division
- Menashe Territorial Brigade around Jenin
- Ephraim Territorial Brigade around Tulkarm and Qalqilyah
- Samaria Territorial Brigade around Nablus
- Binyamin Territorial Brigade around Ramallah
- Etzion Territorial Brigade around Bethlehem
- Yehuda Territorial Brigade around Hebron
- Division Signal Battalion "Ofek"
- 636th "Nitzan/Bud" Field Intelligence Battalion
- "Erez" Military Police Battalion
- "Ta’oz" Military Police Battalion
- "Hatuley HaBar/Wild Cats" Heavy Engineer Company
- New Commander for Judea and Samaria Division" (Hebrew), Arutz Sheva, 05-08-15.
|This Israel Defense Forces-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|