Judgementall Hai Kya
|Judgementall Hai Kya|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prakash Kovelamudi|
|Produced by||Ekta Kapoor|
Shailesh R Singh
|Screenplay by||Kanika Dhillon|
Daniel B. George
Daniel B. George
|Edited by||Shweta Venkat Matthew|
Balaji Motion Pictures
Karma Media and Entertainment
|Distributed by||Pen Marudhar Entertainment|
|Box office||est. ₹44.92 crore|
Judgementall Hai Kya (transl. Are you judgmental?; Hindi pronunciation: [ɦeː kjaː]) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language black comedy film produced by Ekta Kapoor and directed by Prakash Kovelamudi, starring Rajkummar Rao and Kangana Ranaut. The screenplay was written by Kanika Dhillon. The principal photography of the film began on 16 May 2018. The film was theatrically released in India on 26 July 2019.
- Kangana Ranaut as Bobby Grewal
- Rajkummar Rao as Keshav
- Jimmy Shergill as Shridhar
- Amyra Dastur as Reema
- Amrita Puri as Megha
- Brijendra Kala as Police officer
- Satish Kaushik as Police officer
- Lalit Behl as Uncle
- Hussain Dalal as Varun
Principal photography of the film began on 16 May 2018, in Mumbai. After completing the shooting in Mumbai, the production team went to London for next schedule. The film wrapped on 9 July 2018 in London.
|Judgementall Hai Kya|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||20 July 2019 |
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The music of the film is composed by Arjuna Harjai, Rachita Arora, Tanishk Bagchi and Daniel B. George while lyrics are written by Prakhar Varunendra, Kumaar, Tanishk Bagchi, Raja Kumari and Prakahar Vihaan. Background music scored by Daniel B George.
|1.||"The Wakhra Swag"||Tanishk Bagchi, Raja Kumari||Tanishk Bagchi||Navv Inder, Lisa Mishra|
Rap: Raja Kumari
|2.||"Para Para"||Prakhar Varunendra||Rachita Arora||Arun Dev Yadav||3:51|
|3.||"Judgementall Hai Kya"||Prakhar Varunendra||Rachita Arora||Jaspreet Jasz, Rachita Arora, Nivedita Padmanabhan||2:46|
|4.||"Kis Raste Hai Jana"||Kumaar||Arjuna Harjai||Surabhi Dashputra, Arjuna Harjai||3:31|
|5.||"Kar Samna"||Prakhar Vihaan||Daniel B. George||Amir Khan, Brijesh Shandilya, Protijyoti Ghosh, Daniel B. George||1:20|
Marketing and release
On March 4, 2018, producer Ekta Kapoor revealed the first two posters of the film on Twitter, each depicting the two leads - a cross-eyed Ranaut and Rao holding up his middle fingers to his eyes; Kapoor hinted at the theme of mental instability by captioning, "It's time to bring out the crazy in you... Because Sanity is overrated!" In an interview, writer Kanika Dhillon called the film a "quirky thriller" 
On March 5, Balaji Motion Pictures released two more first look posters, depicting both lead characters at crime scenes. The following day, March 6, another two posters for the film were released, with leads Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao posing in "quirky" and dangerous positions- a knife-wielding Ranaut in a water-filled bathtub surrounded by electronic gadgets at its edge, and Rao holding a butcher knife and cutting an apple, with blood seeping from his hand.
On 11 October 2018, the producers released a new poster, a composite of the original two posters of a cross-eyed Ranaut and Rao holding up his middle fingers, to reveal the film's release date. Release date of the film is changed to 21 June 2019. Rao announced the new date on his Twitter account along with new poster of the film. The release date was further extended to 26 July 2019 on 7 May 2019 by Balaji Motion Pictures.
The film promotions were also wrapped in controversy as the lead actress, Kangana Ranaut, apparently harassed a journalist for bad reviewing her directorial debut where she was also the lead actress. The incident took an uglier turn as the Entertainment Journalists' Guild of India decided to boycott Kangana Ranaut until she issued an unconditional apology. The producer of the film Ekta Kapoor issued an unconditional apology on behalf of her. However, the actress has, till date, refused to apologize.
In June 2019, the film's title was changed to Judgementall Hai Kya due to objections from Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS) which filed a complaint to the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) claiming that the original title, Mental Hai Kya, trivialises mental health issues.
Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India gave the film 3.5/5 stars, found Kovelamudi’s narrative style as 'quirky and edgy'. Praising performance of Kangana Ranaut, termed it as "brilliant", as for Rajkummar Rao she felt that he fitted into 'his slightly macho, edgy persona like a glove'. Concluding she opines, "Judgementall Hai Kya keeps the element of suspense alive all the way till the end, as it pushes the envelope as a dark, psychological whodunit, with a social message weaved in that can’t be ignored."  Anna M. M. Vetticad of Firstpost gave the film 2.5/5 stars, found the plot to be confusing and stated that the makers have done very poor research on mental health. The movie, at certain points, makes fun of issues that require serious attention. Psychological disorders are a concern and such toxic take can only push people back. The performances are great, especially that of Rajkumar Rao, who unfortunately is caught in between a poor script. Kangana's performance is also decent but she could have done better. Raja Sen of Hindustan Times gave 4/5 stars and felt that the slick, snappy looking comedy has more to offer, as a 'smart, significant satire'. Praising the performances he said, "This is a finely acted film, with superb performances from Amrita Puri, Satish Kaushik and Jimmy Sheirgill, not to mention Rao, but it rests entirely on Ranaut’s shoulders and she delivers both vitality and credibility." Concluding he recommended to watch the film as 'carrying homilies on placards' and opined, "It is a film about malicious misdirection, and the validity of our narratives — especially those labelled incorrect. It’s okay to jump at a cockroach even if you’re the only one who sees it. A bug can be a feature." Gaurang Chauhan of Times Now rating the film with 3/5 stars terms it as 'one of its kind film', praising the performances of lead of Ranaut and Rao and supporting cast of Hussain Dalal, Satish Kaushik and Brijendra Kala says, " This movie belongs to [Ranaut] and she simply nails it." In conclusion, he opines, "Do give this one a try for its uniqueness, eccentricity, jaw-dropping moments, technical brilliance and Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao's phenomenal performances. Watch it." Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN stated, "While you admire the attempt at originality, you can’t help feeling frustrated at just how it all comes apart in the end." He praised the performances, and termed Ranaut as solid. But, he felt that the film fell short of greatness because of a muddled script and gave 2.5/5 stars.
According to the Bollywood Hungama opening day collection of the film is ₹4.20 crore and the second day collection is ₹7 crore, whereas third day collection is ₹7.70 crore. The opening weekend gross is ₹26.97 crore worldwide.
- "Pen Marudhar Entertainment acquires the India Distribution rights of these Balaji films". Box office India. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "It's Kangana Ranaut Versus Hrithik Roshan on July 26". News18. 7 May 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya box office collection Day 1: New film struggles to fight The Lion King". India Today. 27 July 2019. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya box office collection Day 7: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao's film slows down, earns Rs 31 crore". Business Today. 2 August 2019. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "Box Office Report: 'Arjun Patiala' struggles for Rs 5 crore, 'Judgementall Hai Kya' fails to mint Rs 20 crore on weekend". DNA. 29 July 2019. Retrieved 29 July 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya box office collection Day 7: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao's film slows down, earns Rs 31 crore". www.businesstoday.in.
- DelhiAugust 2, India Today Web Desk New; August 2, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 11:50. "Judgementall Hai Kya box office collection Day 7: New film crosses Rs 30-crore mark". India Today.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya box office collection: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao's film earns Rs 31 cr in opening week- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 2 August 2019.
- "People warned me not to work with Kangana Ranaut: Kanika Dhillon". The Indian Express. 18 September 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Mental Hai Kya: Rajkummar Rao, Kangana Ranaut start shooting". The Indian Express. 17 May 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Mental Hai Kya: New motion posters suggest no change in title of Kangana Ranaut-Rajkummar Rao's film". Hindustan Times. 23 June 2019. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- "Jimmy Shergill joins Kangana Ranaut's Mental Hai Kya". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Amyra Dastur joins Rajkummar Rao, Kangana Ranaut in Mental Hai Kya". hindustan times. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Satish Kaushik joins Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao in Mental Hai Kya". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao wrap up Mental Hai Kya". The Indian Express. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "Mental Hai Kya: Ekta Kapoor unveils first-look of upcoming film starring Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Judgemental Hai Kya is quirky! - Kanika Dhillon". Kovid Gupta Films. 2019. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- "Mental Hai Kya third look: Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao are killing it". The Indian Express. 7 March 2018. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Mental Hai Kya: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao starrer to release on March 29, 2019". The Indian Express. 11 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao starrer Mental Hai Kya to release on June 21, 2019". Bollywood Hungama. 17 April 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut gets into an ugly fight with a journalist during 'Judgementall Hai Kya' song launch - Times of India ►". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- DelhiJuly 10, Press Trust of India New; July 10, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 10:43. "Entertainment journalists to boycott Kangana Ranaut after spat with reporter at Judgemental Hai Kya event". India Today. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao's 'Mental Hai Kya is now 'Judgemental Hai Kya' | Hindi Movie News - Bollywood - Times of India". The Times of India. 29 June 2019. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- Panchal, Komal RJ (29 June 2019). "Kangana-Rajkummar starrer Mental Hai Kya is now Judgementall Hai Kya". The Indian Express. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya: Kangana Ranaut's film gets new title after criticism from mental health experts- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 29 June 2019. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya Official Trailer - Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao - 26th July 2019". YouTube. BalajiMotionPictures. 2 July 2019.
- "Judgemental Hai Kya' trailer: The Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao starrer is a crazy and fun-filled ride". Times of India. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "JUDGEMENTALL HAI KYA". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (25 July 2019). "Judgementall Hai Kya". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya movie review: Kangana, Rajkummar's unfettered performances suffer a confusing plot and poor research on mental health- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 26 July 2019. Retrieved 27 July 2019.
- Sen, Raja (26 July 2019). "Judgementall Hai Kya movie review: Kangana Ranaut dazzles in a film about mind games". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- "Judgementall Hai Kya Movie Review: Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao starrer is one of its kind, bizarre fun". Times Now News. 26 July 2019. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- Rajeev Masand (26 July 2019). "Judgementall Hai Kya Movie Review: Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao Film Falls Way Short of Greatness". News18. Retrieved 27 July 2019.