||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
She emigrated to Australia with her parents in 1958. She has returned to Hungary several times and was working for the English language Daily News during the 1989 velvet revolution. She is an Honorary Research Fellow in Melbourne University’s Cultural Heritage Unit and a Consulting Fellow of the World Innovation Foundation. In 2016 she won the Victorian Community History Award for a small publication for her book 'The Village of Ripponlea' published in 2015.
She has several entries in the Encyclopedia of Melbourne, including those on Collins Street and St Kilda Road, and was an image researcher for the project. In her other writing life she has written her own one-woman shows, short stories, feature articles. She has taught writing at Deakin University. Buckrich is now researching the 175-year history of the Acland Street, St Kilda to be published in 2017.[needs update] She is Vice-President of the Melbourne Centre of PEN.
She has published the last three of her books including 'The Village of Ripponlea' which won a Victorian History Award in 2016.
List of published works
- Sussex, L; J R Buckrich (1995). She's Fantastical. Melbourne: Sybylla. ISBN 978-0-908205-12-7.
- Buckrich, J R; A Birkenbeil (1996). Melbourne's Grand Boulevard: The Story of St. Kilda Road. Melbourne, Vic: State Library of Victoria. ISBN 978-0-7306-7959-2.
- Buckrich, J R (1998). The Montefiore Homes: 150 years of care. Carlton South, Vic: Melbourne University Press. ISBN 978-0-522-84845-8.
- Buckrich, J R (1999). George Turner: a life. Carlton South, Vic: Melbourne University Press. ISBN 978-0-522-84840-3.
- Buckrich, J R (2002). The Long and Perilous Journey: A History of the Port of Melbourne. Melbourne: Melbourne Books. ISBN 978-1-877096-00-6.
- Lighthouse on the Boulevard: A History of the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind
- Buckrich, J R (2004). Lighthouse on the Boulevard: A History of the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing,. ISBN 1-74097-070-5.
- Buckrich, J R; K Dunstan; R Storey; M Strizic (2005). Collins: Australia’s Premier Street. Melbourne: Arcadia/Australian Scholarly Publishing for the Collins Street Precinct. ISBN 978-1-74097-057-0.
- Buckrich, J R (2007). Design for Living: A History of ‘Prahran Tech'. Windsor, Vic.: Prahran Mechanics' Institute Press. ISBN 978-0-9756000-8-5.
- Buckrich, Judth: Well Rowed University: Melbourne University Boat Club The First 150 Years (MUBC 2009)
- Buckrich, Judith: The Making of Us: Rusden Drama, Media and Dance 1966-2002 (Lauranton Books 2015)
- Buckrich, Judith: The Village of Ripponlea (Lauranton Books 2015)
- Buckrich, Judith: The Political is Personal: A 20th Century Memoir (Lauranton Books 2016)
- Webb, Carolyn (2005-10-20). "Recalling an era to see and be seen". The Age (Australia). Retrieved 2008-02-01.