Judith Ellen Levy
|Judith Ellen Levy|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
March 14, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Nancy Garlock Edmunds|
|Born||1958 (age 58–59)
|Residence||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Education||University of Michigan B.S.
University of Michigan Law School J.D.
Judith Ellen Levy (born 1958) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Levy was born in 1958 in Bloomington, Indiana. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1981 from the University of Michigan. She received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1996 from the University of Michigan Law School. Prior to her attendance at law school, she worked at the University of Michigan Hospital and served as the bargaining chairperson for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees for six years. From 1996 to 1999, she served as a law clerk to Judge Bernard A. Friedman of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. From 1999 to 2000, she was a trial attorney for the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Since 2000, she has served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Michigan, serving as Chief of the Civil Rights Unit for the past three years.
Levy is openly gay and has three daughters, Kayla Johnson-Levy, Micah Johnson-Levy, and Rianna Johnson-Levy.
Federal judicial service
On July 25, 2013, President Obama nominated Levy to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, to the seat vacated by Judge Nancy Garlock Edmunds, who took senior status on August 1, 2012. On January 16, 2014, her nomination was reported out of committee. A cloture vote was held on Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the Levy nomination; cloture was invoked by a vote of 56-42. On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, the full U.S. Senate voted 97-0 for final confirmation. She received her judicial commission on March 14, 2014.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "President Obama Nominates Six to Serve on the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Levy, Judith Ellen - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Openly Gay Attorney One of Six Nominated to District Court Today, Human Rights Campaign blog". Hrc.org. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
Nancy Garlock Edmunds
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan