|Born||25 May 1951|
|Spouse(s)||Samuel N. C. Lieu|
Judith Margaret Lieu theologian and historian of religion. She specialises in the New Testament and early Christianity. Her research includes a focus on early Christian identity in its historical context, and literary analysis of biblical texts. From 2010 to 2018, she was Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity at the University of Cambridge. She retired from her post in 2018.(born 1951) is a British
Early life and education
Lieu was born on 25 May 1951. She studied theology at Durham University, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1972. She remained at Durham to undertake postgraduate studies in theology, and graduated with a Master of Arts (MA) degree in 1973. She then moved to the University of Oxford where she trained to be a school teacher, completed her Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in 1974. She undertook postgraduate research at the University of Birmingham, and completed her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1980.
Lieu began her academic teaching career at the Queen's College, Birmingham, an ecumenical theological college. In January 2001, she moved to King's College London, having been appointed as Professor of New Testament Studies.
- In 2014, Lieu was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA), the United Kingdom's national academy for the humanities and social sciences.
- She was elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences - International Honorary Member (2019).
- "Prof Judith M Lieu". robinson.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Professor Judith Lieu FBA". Faculty of Divinity. University of Cambridge. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- "Video & Audio: Inaugural lecture of the Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity, Judith Lieu, on Tuesday 26 January 2010 - Metadata". Archived from the original on 22 August 2010. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Lieu, Prof. Judith Margaret". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. 2007. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U245139. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "Cadbury Lectures 2013: Lecturer profiles". Cadbury Lectures. University of Birmingham. 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Professor Judith Lieu". Research Portal. King's College London. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Lieu, Judith". European Association for Jewish Studies. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Holly Else (18 July 2014). "British Academy announces 42 new fellows". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "2019 Fellows and International Honorary Members with their affiliations at the time of election". members.amacad.org. Archived from the original on 2 March 2020.