Judith S. Beck
Judith S. Beck, PhD (born May 5, 1954), is an American psychologist who is best known for her work in cognitive therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy. Her father is Aaron Beck, MD, the founder of cognitive therapy, with whom she has worked on many occasions.
Beck is the author of the widely adopted and widely cited textbook, Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond, which has been translated into 20 languages and is a basic textbook in the field for many students in psychiatry, psychology, counseling, social work, and psychiatric nursing in the U.S. and around the world. Her other books include Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems: What to Do When the Basics Don't Work, The Oxford Textbook of Psychotherapy, Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders, as well as The New York Times Best Seller (Advice/2007) The Beck Diet Solution and The Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook, The Complete Beck Diet for Life, and The Diet Trap Solution, a cognitive therapy approach to weight loss and maintenance. Beck co-developed the Beck Youth Scales for Social and Emotional Impairment and has written hundreds of articles, chapters, and books, for professionals and consumers, on the various applications of cognitive therapy in treatment and training.
Beck Institute and teaching
Beck is the President of the non-profit Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy in suburban Philadelphia. She is also a Clinical Associate Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, where she teaches residents. Beck directs the three major functions of the Beck Institute: education, clinical care, and research. In these capacities, she is involved with administration, teaching and supervising mental-health professionals, treating patients, writing, developing educational materials, and consultation. She is a consultant for research studies funded by the National Institute of Mental Health, and assists hospitals, residency training programs, community mental health centers, and other organizations in setting up or improving their cognitive therapy programs. Beck is also a distinguished founding fellow and past president of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy.
- 1998-1999 Psychiatric Residents (III & IV) Faculty Teaching Award
- 2003-2004 Excellence in Cognitive Therapy Award
- 2007 Distinguished Contributions to the Science and Profession of Psychology
- 2007 Health Disparities Award
- 2009 Aaron T. Beck Award for Significant and Enduring Contributions to Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- 2009 Distinguished Workshop Presenter Award
- 2011 Outstanding Contributions by an Individual for Clinical Activities Award
- Beck, J. S. (1995). Cognitive therapy: Basics and beyond. New York: Guilford.
- Beck, J. S. (2005). Cognitive therapy for challenging problems: What to do when the basics don’t work. New York: Guilford.
- Beck, J. S. (2007). The Beck Diet Solution. Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House Publications.
- Beck, J. S. (2007). Beck diet solution weight loss workbook: The 6-week plan to train your brain to think like a thin person. Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House Publications.
- Beck, J. S. (2011). Cognitive behavior therapy: Basics and beyond. 2nd ed. New York: Guilford
- Beck, J. S., & Beck, A. T. (2001). Beck youth inventories of emotional and social impairment. Texas: The Psychological Corporation.
- Beck, A., Freeman, A., Davis, D., A., Pretzer, J., Fleming, B., Ottaviani, R., Beck, J. S., Simon, K., Padesky, C., Meyer, J., & Trexler, L., & Associates. (2004). Cognitive therapy of personality disorders, 2nd ed. New York: Guilford.
- Gabbard, G., Beck, J. S., & Holmes, J. (Eds.) (2005). Oxford textbook of psychotherapy. London: Oxford University Press.
- "List of Citations". Google Scholar. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Wolpe, Joseph (September 1996). "Book review: Cognitive therapy: Basics and beyond". Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. 27 (3): 319. doi:10.1016/0005-7916(96)89143-9.
- "Think Thin To Get Thin". Newsweek. 2007-03-19. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Nelson-Jones, Richard (2006). Theory and Practice of Counselling and Therapy. SAGE. p. 363. ISBN 1-4129-1978-9. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Beck, Judith. "Dr. Judith S. Beck: Honors and Recognition".
- "Our distinguished faculty: Awards and honors" (PDF). Penn Psychiatry Perspective (11): 9–10. 2012. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2012-03-30.