She is a professor of English at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg and she also serves on the graduate faculty of The Drew University Master of Fine Arts in Poetry Program.
Vollmer is co-editor of 5 AM, a national poetry journal. She has won Literature Fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, as well as residencies at the American Academy in Rome, Yaddo, Centrum Foundation, Blue Mountain Center, and Vermont Studio Colony. In 1990 she won the Brittingham Prize in Poetry from the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
- The Water Books, poetry (Pittsburgh: Autumn House Press, 2012)
- Reactor, poetry (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2004)
- The Door Open To the Fire, poetry (Cleveland: Cleveland State University, 1998)
- Black Butterfly, poetry (New York: Center for Book Arts, 1997)
- Level Green, poetry; winner of the Brittingham Prize in Poetry (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1990)