Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, actress, author|
Judy Cheeks is a singer and actress who has worked with other musical artists as well having her own solo career in the 1970s and 1980s as a soul and R&B singer, before returning in the 1990s when she released more dance-orientated music.
Early life and music career
Born in Miami, Florida, Cheeks is the daughter of gospel legend Rev. Julius Cheeks. Her first recording was a blues album entitled Judy Cheeks produced by Ike Turner in 1973. A tour with Ike & Tina Turner followed. Cheeks moved to Germany in 1977 and recorded a duet with Austrian singer Udo Jürgens. Their performance on The Rudi Carrell Show made Cheeks an overnight success in Europe. In 1978 she recorded "Mellow Lovin'" which became an international hit and reached #10 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart. Her 1978 album Mellow Lovin' was produced by Anthony Monn (best known for his work with gay icon Amanda Lear) in Giorgio Moroder's Musicland Studios in Munich.
Cheeks appears as a backing vocalist for Stevie Wonder's The Woman In Red 1984 soundtrack album, Donna Summer's Once upon a Time and Rumor Has It albums, Thelma Houston and Jerry Butler's Just Thelma & Jerry 1977 album, on Amanda Lear's 1979 album Never Trust a Pretty Face and on Boney M.'s Ten Thousand Lightyears. In 1986, Cheeks worked as a studio musician (providing backing vocals) on Alphaville's album Afternoons in Utopia.
Cheeks wrote for Jobette Music - Motown. The Jackson 5 recorded one of her songs on their last Motown LP. She did a lot of session work for several major artist while sharpening her song writing skills.
She co-wrote and produced her solo album No Outsiders in 1987.
Cheeks had a career resurgence in the 1990s, when she re-emerged with a string of dance chart hits, including two #1s in 1995, "Respect" and "As Long As You're Good to Me", as well as "Reach", which appeared on the Summer Hitmix 94 CD released by ZYX Records. A solo album, also titled Respect, was released in 1996.
In 2013 Cheeks wrote and co produced a solo album True Love is Free.
Cheeks acted in various movies and TV shows: She starred in her first movie Caribbean Rhapsody with Rozano Brazzi, filmed in Haiti. 1978 Caribia, 1980 La playa del amor – Tapetenwechsel (1984), 1984 SOKO 5113 (TV series), Starred in movie for TV Saltzburger Nockerln in 1992. Cheeks is the author of Love and Honor about her late father Reverend Julius Cheeks. She is the founder of School of Miracles (SOM)
- Judy Cheeks (1973)
- Mellow Lovin' (1978)
- Hard on the Heels of Love (Italy-only release, 1983)
- No Outsiders (1988)
- Respect (1996)
- True Love is Free (2013)
- Danger Zone (2018)
- "Mellow Lovin'" (Ariola 1977, Salsoul 1978) U.S. #65, US Dance #10
- "The Little Girl in Me" (Ariola, 1978)
- "Don't Wanna Love You Again" (Ariola, 1979)
- "Mercy" (Ariola, 1980)
- "Fascination" (Dureco, 1983)
- "You'll Never Be Alone" (Polydor 1987)
- "I Still Love You" (1988)
- "So In Love (The Real Deal)" (1993) UK #27 (Positiva)
- "Reach" (1994) UK #17 (Positiva)
- "This Time" / "Respect" (1995) UK #23, US Dance #1 ("Respect") (Positiva)
- "You're The Story Of My Life" / "As Long As You're Good To Me" (1995) UK #30, US Dance #1 ("As Long As You're Good To Me") (Positiva)
- "Reach" (remix) (1996) UK #22 (Positiva)
- 2013 "Happy"
- 2013 "I Love Prasing You
- 2013 "Without Love We're Lost" Remixes
- 2018 "Crying In The Rain"
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart