|Other names||Dr. Judy Ho, Dr. Judy|
|Citizenship||United States, Taiwan|
|Occupation||Clinical & Forensic Psychologist, Professor of Psychology, television host|
|Known for||The Doctors, Dr.Drew, CNN|
|Board member of||American Board of Professional Psychology (Examination Board Chair)|
|Relatives||Maria Ho (sister)|
|Education||Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology)|
BS (Business Administration)
|Alma mater||UC San Diego (PhD),|
UC Berkeley (BA)(BS)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Judy Ho, Ph. D., ABPP, ABPdN (commonly known as Dr. Judy Ho), is a triple board-certified and licensed Clinical and Forensic Neuropsychologist, media personality and published author, born in Taipei, Taiwan with dual U.S. citizenship.
She regularly appears on national television and radio broadcasts as a psychology expert, panelist, narrator and host, currently co-hosting Season 12 of The Doctors, preceded by hosting the CBS syndicated talk show Face The Truth (2018) alongside Vivica Fox, being a recurring panelist (over 200 episodes) on The Dr. Drew Show (2013-2016).
Ho maintains a private practice based in Los Angeles, CA, while working as a tenured Associate Professor of Psychology at Pepperdine University Graduate School of Education and Psychology (since 2010).
Born in Taipei, Taiwan Ho is fluent in Mandarin and moved with her family to the United States when she was six-years-old. She is the older sister to Maria Ho, a noted professional poker player.
Education & Accreditation
Ho attended the University of California, Berkeley where she received a BA in psychology and a BS in business administration. She completed her MS and PhD in Clinical Psychology through joint doctoral programs at UC San Diego School and San Diego State University. Her three-year postdoctoral fellowship in child psychiatry was sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health at the University of California, Los Angeles Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior.
She is a two-time recipient of the National Institute of Mental Health Services Research Award (2004, 2008) a.k.a. the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award. In 2016 she received the Provost's Research Award, and created an evidence-based psychoeducational support program to help new mothers in low-income communities learn effective skills to combat postpartum depression, in partnership with WIC (Women, Infants, and Children).
Licensed by the California Board of Psychology in 2009, and having received her board-certification by the American Board of Professional Psychology in 2011, Ho became double-board certified through the National Board of Forensic Evaluators in 2015, upon earning her diplomate as a Board Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator (CFMHE). In she 2019 received her third board certification (ABPdN) through the American Academy of Pediatric Neuropsychology.
In addition to her private practice in Manhattan Beach, CA, Ho simultaneously teaches Psychopathology, Treatment Methods, and Statistical Analyses to doctoral and master students of psychology at Pepperdine University, as a tenured associate professor.
She is the founder and executive director of the STAGES Project, a not-for-profit prevention program for at-risk youth, which utilizes arts and music as a therapeutic intervention for at-risk students. In 2016, Ho created and implemented PEP4SAFE, a scientifically-driven, no-cost psychoeducational program for parents and teachers in various school districts of Los Angeles, CA, for which she acts as the Principal Investigator.
Areas of Expertise
Ho specializes in Comprehensive Psychological Testing, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and Behavior management. Areas of expertise include: Depression & Anxiety Issues, Childhood & Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, youth behavioral issues, Personality Disorders, co-occurring Alcohol & Substance Use Disorders, and Learning Disorders & Cognitive Dysfunction.
As a Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator (CFMHE), she is retained as an psychological expert witness in civil and criminal cases, conducting forensic evaluations and testifying for both the prosecution/plaintiff and the defense.
Ho has served as a forensic and/or neuropsychological consultant for multiple national organizations and treatment centers, including the National Institute of Mental Health's Community Partners in Care Project (2008-2011), Centers for Disease Control's Legacy Project (2011-2015), the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health (2011–present), Kaiser Permanente (2013–present), Promises Treatment Center (2013-2017), Bridges to Recovery (2011–present), Clearview Treatment Centers (2012–present), Pure Recovery California (2016–present), Milestones Ranch Malibu (2017–present), and the Center for Professional Recovery (2017–2018).
She serves on many board of director, including Board Chair on the ABPP Examination Committee (2016–present), Board of Directors for the non-profit Human Trafficking Legal Network, and Chair of the Pepperdine University Graduate and Professional Schools Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Ho has regularly written and contributed to various print and online publications, offering psychological analysis, professional advice and clinical research to trending news topics and breaking stories, some publications have included Teen Vogue, Yahoo Lifestyle, Life & Style, Us Weekly, and Bustle Magazine. She also contributes clinical research manuscripts to national and international psychological journals, and has written chapter contributions for mental health textbooks.
Television & Radio
Ho lends her forensic and psychological expertise, insight and commentary to a variety of television, radio and media programs. As of 2019, she frequents CNN, Access Hollywood, Fox 11 News, and several crime and mystery programs on the Oxygen, HLN and Investigation Discovery channels. Significant televised host and co-host roles have included co-hosting FOX's The Daily Helpline (2014), co-hosting Crime Watch Daily alongside Matt Doran (2016), and being a recurring panelist for four seasons of Dr. Drew On Netflix she appears in several crime, mystery and investigation re-enactment docuseries, including Deep Undercover and Murderous Affairs.
After multiple guest appearances onThe Doctors Ho joined the show's cast in 2017, as the resident psychologist and mental health professional, guest co-hosting 78 episodes during Season 10. In 2019, she returned as a host of the show for the 12th season (currently airing).
Face The Truth
Season 1 of the CBS syndicated daytime talk show Face The Truth, produced by Jay McGraw and Stage 29 Productions, premiered nationwide on September 10, 2018, hosted by Dr. Judy, Vivica A. Fox, Rosie Mercado, Areva Martin, and Judge "Scary Mary" (Mary Chrzanowski). The show aimed to provide conflict resolution for guests facing life and relationship challenges.
Crime & Investigation
As a certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator, and with her experience as an expert forensic witness, Ho frequently provides forensic analysis and narration on crime/investigative re-enactment programs, including multiple episodes of Murder Among Friends (2016-2017), Blood Relatives (2015-2016), Snapped: Killer Couples (2015-2016), Killer Kids (2015), and Wicked Attraction (2013).
In 2015, Ho appeared on season 4 of We TV's Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars, as an expert in human behavior and compatibility, to secretly evaluate the relationship interactions of celebrity couples, including The Bachelor's Sean Lowe & Catherine Giudici and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo's "Mama June" & "Sugar Bear". She has also been seen as a celebrity therapist on Braxton Family Values (2012).
Ho is a supporter of the performing arts and has participated in musicals, singing and dance since adolescence. During graduate school she competed, and was a semifinalist, on the sole season of Fame - a NBC reality television talent-contest featuring 24 dancer/singers, hand-picked by producer Debbie Allen.
In 2010, while personally attending a taping of The Price Is Right Christmas Eve episode, Ho was randomly selected to be a contestant and made it to the final showcase portion of the show, where she won double showcases for a total of $101,244 - which tied for the third highest winner in the show's history.
Having a long-standing professional friendship with Dr. Drew Pinsky, Ho regularly joins him on-air to co-host Dr. Drew Midday Live on KABC 790 radio, which broadcasts in Los Angeles and San Francisco. On the same station, she offers a psychological POV, advice and analysis as a guest expert on the McIntyre In The Morning.
Some notable television credits include:
- Oxygen TV Movie - Golden State Killer: Main Suspect (2018)
- Lifetime TV Movie - JonBenet's Mother: Victim or Killer (2016)
- Dr. Drew On Call (2013-2016: 203 episodes)
- Face The Truth (2018-2019: 115 episodes)
- The Doctors (2017-2018: 82 episodes)
- Motive to Murder (2016-2017: 23 episodes)
- It Takes A Killer (2016-2017: 18 episodes)
- Fox 11 News (2015-2018: 17 episodes)
- CNN Newsroom (2013-2018: 14 episodes)
- Crime Watch Daily (2016-2018L 14 episodes)
- MichaeLA (2016-2018: 14 episodes)
- CNN Newsroom (2013-2018: 14 episodes)
- Deep Undercover (2016-2017: 10 episodes)
- On The Story with Erica Hill (2016-2018: 7 episodes)
- The Daily Share (2015-2016: 7 episodes)
- Jane Velez-Mitchell (2014: 7 episodes)
- Nancy Grace (2013-2015: 6 episodes)
- Pretty Bad Girls (2012-2013: 6 episodes)
- Deadly Sins (2016-2017: 5 episodes)
- TakePart Live (2014: 5 episodes)
- Crime & Justice (2017-2018: 5 episodes)
- Evil Genius (2017: 4 episodes)
- Inside Edition (2017-2018: 3 episodes)
- Across America with Carol Costello (2017-2018: 3 episodes)
- Murderous Affairs (2017: 3 episodes)
- CNN Tonight (2015-2018: 3 episodes)
- Murder Among Friends (2016-2017: 3 episodes)
- Blood Relatives (2015-2016: 3 episodes)
- KCAL 9 News (2015-2016: 3 episodes)
- True Nightmares (2016: 3 episodes)
- Snapped: Killer Couples (2015-2016: 3 episodes)
- Hollywood Scandals (2013-2014: 3 episodes)
- CBS 2 News (2015-2016: 2 episodes)
- Momsters: When Moms Go Bad (2015: 2 episodes)
- The Daily Helpline (2014: 2 episodes)
- Wicked Attraction (2013: 2 episodes)
- Morning Express (2019: 1 episode)
- Ancient Aliens (2018: 1 episode)
- Early Start (2017: 1 episode)
- I Knew My Murderer (2017: 1 episode)
- You Can Do Better (2017: 1 episode)
- Good Morning Britain (2016: 1 episode)
- Outside the Lines (2016: 1 episode)
- Death By Gossip with Wendy Williams (2015: 1 episode)
- Killer Kids (2015: 1 episode)
- Marriage Boot Camp (2015: 1 episode)
- The Insider (2015: 1 episode)
- ABC 7 Eyewitness News (2014: 1 episode)
- Piers Morgan Live (2013: 1 episode)
- Braxton Family Values (2012: 1 episode)
- "Judy Ho IMDB credits". IMDB. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "CBS to Launch Syndicated Talk Show 'Face the Truth' With Vivica A. Fox". CBS Press. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- "CBS to Launch Syndicated Talk Show 'Face the Truth' With Vivica A. Fox". Variety. Retrieved March 28, 2018.
- "Pepperdine Faculty Guide". Pepperdine. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Long Dragon Realty - The Ho Family". Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Human Trafficking Legal Network Board Members". HTLN. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "Newly Board Certified Psychologists". ABPP. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "List of Current Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluators (CFMHE)". National Board of Forensic Evaluators. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- "Stages Project". The Stages Project. August 1, 2009. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Stages Project Presents". Patch Media. 19 July 2012. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "MBEF Parent Workshops". www.mbef.org. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Bridges To Recovery - Team". Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Milestones Ranch Staff". Milestones Ranch. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Center For Professional Recovery - Staff". Center for Professional Recovery. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Board Members". Human Trafficking Legal Network. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Graduate and Professional Schools IRB". Pepperdine University. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Stop Self Sabotage". Harper Collins. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Recognizing The Signs of a Troubled Teen by Dr. Judy Ho". HLN. September 5, 2013. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Helpful Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season". The Doctors TV. December 4, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Why You Should Totally Participate in 'No Selfies Day'". Teen Vogue. 16 March 2016. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "The Clinton-Lewinsky scandal is now part of the MeToo movement". Yahoo. June 4, 2018. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "15 Behaviors That Can Make Someone Toxic To Be Around". Yahoo. May 9, 2018. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Perceptions of the Acceptability of Parent Training Among Chinese Immigrant Parents: Contributions of Cultural Factors and Clinical Need" (PDF). UCLA. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "Evidence-Based Treatments for Conduct Problems Among Ethnic Minorities" (PDF). Research Gate. August 1, 2010. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "Immigrants: Acculturation, Socioeconomic Challenges and Cultural Psychology". Nova Publishers. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "Psychology of Punishment: New Research". Nova Publishers. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- "CTD Gets Ready to 'Face the Truth'". Broadcasting Cable. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Dr. Judy Ho Radio & Podcasts". drjudyho.com. Retrieved August 14, 2018.