Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)
|"Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)"|
|Single by John Fred & His Playboy Band|
|from the album Agnes English|
|B-side||"Out of Left Field"|
|Songwriter(s)||John Fred Gourrier, Andrew Bernard|
|Producer(s)||John Fred Gourrier, Andrew Bernard|
"Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)" is a song that was a hit for the Louisiana-based John Fred & His Playboy Band in late 1967. The song was jointly written and composed by Fred and bandmate Andrew Bernard.
Arrangements and content
The song features strings, brass, a sitar, piano, bass, guitar, drums, breathing sounds, and dissonant string sounds. Its title is a play on, and a mondegreen of, the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." (Fred thought the lyrics were "Lucy in disguise with diamonds" when he first heard the selection.)
The other members of the Playboy Band did not like the unusual slow abrupt ending with Fred intoning the final line, "I guess I'll just take your glasses."
- Los Quandos released a Spanish version in 1968 in one of their EP's, with the title of "Judy con disfraz" with Spanish lyrics by Julio Guiu Sr.
- Patrick Zabé released a French version in 1967, with the title of "Les Lunettes."
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys released a cover version on their 1968 album Gary Lewis Now!
- Silicon Teens, the virtual British electronic new wave pop group, created by Mute Records founder Daniel Miller, released a radically different electropop version in 1979.
- Jello Biafra released a live version as part of his 2015 live album of New Orleans rock and soul covers, Walk on Jindal's Splinters.
- The Residents recorded in 1975 for the first track of Side B, titled Hitler Was a Vegetarian, for their 1976 album The Third Reich 'n Roll.
- List of number-one hits of 1968 (Germany)
- List of number-one hits of 1968 (Switzerland)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1968 (U.S.)
- Kasser, Tom (July 2013). Lucy in the Mind of Lennon. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-974760-3.
- "Seven things you didn't know about "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"". blog.oup.com. Oxford University Press. July 9, 2013. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Bronson, Fred. Billboard Book of Number One Songs.
- Ehnert, Günter (1999). HIT BILANZ Deutsche Chart Singles 1956-1980. ISBN 3-922542-24-7
- Swiss Music Charts Number-Ones (1968) Archived 2008-03-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Judy in Disguise (with Glasses) UK chart position Archived 2008-10-12 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 09-21-11
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|