Jürgen Schreiber (journalist)
Jürgen Schreiber (born Heilbronn, January 30, 1947) is an investigative journalist and author based in Berlin, Germany. He is a regular contributor to Berlin's daily newspaper Der Tagesspiegel on matters concerning Germany's past in World War II and in the fine arts. Schreiber's (non-official) biography in 2005 of the German painter Gerhard Richter, gained much recognition when he exposed the fact that Richter's own aunt was murdered by Richter's late father-in-law, a doctor in the SS.
Life and work
For over 30 years Jürgen Schreiber worked as journalist and as a reporter. During this time he mainly worked for the German newspapers Stuttgarter Zeitung and Frankfurter Rundschau. He has also written for the German magazines GEO, Sports and Merian and de:Zeit-Magazin. He was also on the initial staff of the weekly paper de:Die Woche. He was temporarily with the magazine of South Germany's biggest newspaper, Munich's Sueddeutsche Zeitung.
Since 1999 he has worked for Berlin's biggest daily Der Tagesspiegel and since 2001 actively as its chief reporter. In connection with the case against child murderer Magnus Gäfgen he uncovered the use of torture against the accused of murder. Twice he was honoured with the Wächterpreis of the German press (an award for whistleblower reporting). In 1992 he received, in addition to that, the very highly regarded de:Theodor-Wolff-Preis. In 2005 Schreiber published his first book Ein Maler in Deutschland (A Painter from Germany) which uncovered the family drama of the most well-known German painter of the time, Gerhard Richter. Schreiber revealed the fact that Richter, in his famous portrait, Aunt Marianne painted his aunt (de:Marianne Schönfelder) together with the painter as a baby in front, and that the aunt had later been killed in Adolf Hitler's euthanasia programme by physicians, among the practitioners of which was Richter's own later father-in-law and physician (Professor Dr. Obersturmbannführer de:Heinrich Eufinger). This happened without Richter's knowledge.
- Ein Maler aus Deutschland. Gerhard Richter - Das Drama einer Familie. Pendo Verlag, München/Zürich 2005. ISBN 3-86612-058-3
- Meine Jahre mit Joschka. Nachrichten von fetten und mageren Zeiten, Econ, Berlin 2007, ISBN 3-430-30033-9
- Sie starb wie Che Guevara. Die Geschichte der Monika Ertl. Artemis & Winkler, Düsseldorf 2009 ISBN 978-3-538-07274-9
- Die Stasi lebt: Berichte aus einem unterwanderten Land. Droemer/Knaur, München 2009 ISBN 3426782510
- None of Schreiber's works has yet been translated into English, though his biography of Monika Ertl has been published in Italian as La ragazza che vendicò Che Guevara. Storia di Monika Ertl 2011
- Siegfried Mews Günter Grass and His Critics: From The Tin Drum to Crabwalk2008 Page 206- "Jürgen Schreiber (1986) initially emphasizes the author's customary stellar performance at public readings from his text, which allows the listeners to indulge in both apprehension and fascination, but he cautions that the actual ..."
- Detlef Garbe Between resistance and martyrdom: Jehovah's Witnesses in the Third Reich United States Holocaust Memorial Museum - 2008 Page 688 ,"In 1988 Jürgen Schreiber used Jentsch's report to contradict "Messerschmidt and Wüllner's accusations regarding the brutality and mercilessness of the military courts" (Schreiber, "Wehrmachtjustiz Anmerkungen," 104). 266."
- Wächterpreis English portal