Jugnu (1947 film)
|Directed by||Shaukat Hussain Rizvi|
|Produced by||Shaukat Art Production|
|Music by||Feroz Nizami|
|May 23, 1947|
Jugnu (Hindi: जुगनू; Urdu: جُگنُو; Firefly) is a 1947 Indian film directed by Shaukat Hussain Rizvi. The film stars Noor Jehan, Dilip Kumar, Gulam Mohammad, Sulochana (Sr.), Latika, Zia, Jilloo, Agha, Shashikala and now famous playback singer Mohammed Rafi. This film was the first major hit for Dilip Kumar who went on to become one of Indian film industry's legends.
Sooraj is from a wealthy household. He meets Jugnu when he's tried to commit suicide by jumpung off a cliff and jugnu tries to stop him. In reality it was a ply conceived by sooraj and his friends to distract jugnu and all the girls so that they can steal the food prepared by the girls. All of them study in the same college and live in hostel. And thus slowly on meeting few times Jugnu and Sooraj fall in love with each other. Jugnu is orphaned when she was young and is taken care of by a friend of her father's who wishes for her to be married to his son Dilip. Sooraj's parents come to know about his love for jugnu and oppose the match as jugnu is poor. One day in conversation with his father sooraj comes to know that they are not rich as all the assets (bungalow, things etc.) owned by his father are mortgaged under heavy loan and so he plans to arrange marriage of Sooraj to a rich household so that the dowry received will help them pay off the loan and continue living a wealthy life. Sooraj is surprised to hear this but he nevertheless is happy as now he can marry Jugnu as both are poor. But Sooraj's mother goes to jugnu and pleads for her son's life explaining her predicament and jugnu promises her that she will get out of sooraj's life. What happens next is the central plot of the story. Will sooraj and jugnu meet again? Will the difference be sorted out between them? Will the lovers love be sacrificed for parents' happiness and money?
This movie was the first hit of Dilip Kumar.
- Dilip Kumar as Sooraj
- Noor Jehan as Jugnu
- Ghulam Mohammed
- Ruby Myers (credited with her stage name Sulochana)
- Mohammad Rafi as a College Boy
Super-hit songs of this film
Feroz Nizami provided superb music for this film, film song lyrics were written by the top lyricists of the time including Tanvir Naqvi,Adeeb Saharanpuri,Nakhshab Jarchavi and Asghar Sarhadi. Most of the film songs ended-up being super-hit.
- Yahaan Badalaa Vafaa Ka - Mohammed Rafi, Noor Jehan
- Vo Apani Yaad Dilaane Ko - Mohammed Rafi
- Aaj Ki Raat Saaz-E-Dard - Noor Jehan
- Jigar Ki Aag Se - Noor Jehan and shadab
- Desh Ki Purkaif Rangi Si Fizao Me Kahi - Roshan Ara Begum
- Tum Bhi Bhula Do Mai Bhi Bhula Du - Noor Jehan
- Lut Jawaani Phir Nahin Aani - Shamshad Begum
- Firoze Rangoonwalla, Indian Filmography, publisher: J. Udeshi, Bombay, August 1970, pp. 224.
- Ashish Rajadhyaksha and Paul Willemen, Encyclopaedia of Indian Cinema, British Film Institute, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2002, pp. 132.
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0729820/ Shaukat Hussain Rizvi (1914–1999), Retrieved 7 Jan 2016
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0420451/, Noor Jehan filmography on IMDb website, Retrieved 7 Jan 2016
- http://www.citwf.com/film177306.htm, film Jugnu (1947 film) on Complete Index To World Film website, Retrieved 7 Jan 2016