Created in 1984, The Jujamcyn Theaters Award has been given over 20+ years to honor a resident theater organization that has made an outstanding contribution to the development of creative talent for the theatre. The award has been sponsored by Jujamcyn Amusement Corporation, one of the three principal organizations involved in Broadway theatre in New York. The award has included a cash prize that has varied from $50,000 to $100,000. The former owner of Jujamcyn, James H. Binger, was a primary sponsor of the award up to his death in 2004. Since his death the award has been given once, rather than the prior pattern of annual awards. Several recipients of the Jujamcyn Award have also been recognized with the Regional Theatre Tony Award. The Jujamcyn Theatres Award recipients have been the following:
Note: this is a sortable table, click on the column heading arrow icon to sort by that column.
|1984||Eugene O'Neill Theater Center||Waterford||CT|||
|1985||American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.)||Cambridge||MA|||
|1986||Long Wharf Theatre||New Haven||CT|||
|1987||Mark Taper Forum||Los Angeles||CA|||
|1988||Second Stage Theatre||New York||NY|||
|1989||The Foundation of the Dramatists Guild Young Playwrights Festival||New York||NY|||
|1991||New York Shakespeare Festival||New York||NY|||
|1992||Yale School of Drama / Yale Repertory Theatre||New Haven||CT|||
|1993||The Alliance for New American Musicals||New York||NY|||
|1994||The Market Theater||Johannesburg||South Africa|||
|1995||New York Stage and Film Company||New York & Poughkeepsie||NY|||
|1996||American Conservatory Theater||San Francisco||CA|||
|1998||Atlantic Theater Company||New York||NY|||
|1999||Penumbra Theatre Company||St. Paul||MN|||
|2001||Manhattan Theatre Club||New York||NY|||
|2002||LAByrinth Theater Company||New York||NY|||
|2004||New York Musical Theatre Festival||New York||NY|||
|2007||Irish Repertory Theatre||New York||NY|||
- Jujamcyn Amusement Corporation - sponsors of the Jujamcyn award, also owners and operators of theaters in New York City
- Regional Theatre Tony Award - special award given to regional theatres of distinction.
- Regional theater in the United States
- N. Y. Times, Nov. 16, 1984, "Broadway"
- N.Y. Times, Sept. 19, 1985, "Brustein Group Wins 1985 Jujamcyn Award"
- N.Y. Times, Nov. 26, 1986, "New Haven Theatre Wins Jujamcyn Award"
- N.Y. Times, Oct. 7, 1987, " Taper Forum Awarded Jujamcyn Theatre Grant"
- N.Y. Times, Nov. 6, 1988, "Theatre: Spoils of War"
- N.Y. Times, Dec. 29, 1989, "On Stage"
- Young Playwrights Inc. - festival website Archived 2009-09-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- N. Y. Times, Oct. 19, 1990, "On Stage"
- N. Y. Times, Sept. 6, 1991, "On Stage and Off"
- Business New Haven article confirming date
- New York Times, On Stage, and Off, Nov 29, 1991 This venture was initiated with funding from Cameron Mackintosh and it was established as a partnership between Lincoln Center Theater, Manhattan Theater Club and Playwrights Horizons.
- 2003 tax exempt filing Archived 2012-07-15 at Archive.is - it appears to have closed by the time of this 2003 filing, which shows assets of $0. Filed by Vivian Beaumont Theater
- Google books reference to award
- Market Theatre website
- N. Y. Times, March 3, 1995, "On Stage, and Off"
- Powerhouse Gala announcement Archived 2009-06-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- NY Stage and Film website
- ACT website Archived 2010-12-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- Encores website - awards Archived 2010-02-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Backstage, Nov 20, 1998
- Backstage, Jan. 14, 2000
- Playbill 25 Jan 2001
- LAByrinth website - awards Archived 2008-10-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Award reference Archived 2008-12-02 at the Wayback Machine. - refers to Richard II production at Globe winning the award.
- NYMF bios page reference to award Archived 2010-07-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- Playbill 12 Feb 2007