Jujyfruits are a chewy, gumdrop-like starch-based candy, manufactured by Ferrara Candy Company. Jujyfruits began production in 1920. They were popular in movie houses along with Heide's other gummy candy, Jujubes.
The Jujyfruits shapes are Pineapple, Tomato, Raspberry, Grape Bundle, Asparagus Bundle, Banana, and Pea Pod. The banana shape is stamped with "HEIDE." Fruity flavors correspond to the colors (not the shapes) and include raspberry (red), anise/licorice (black), lime (green), orange (orange), and lemon (yellow). The candies are firm and harden with age or when chilled. A sour variety is also available.
As of 2009[update], the ingredients listed on Jujyfruits boxes are:
- Corn syrup
- Modified and unmodified cornstarch
- Natural and artificial flavors
- White mineral oil
- Carnauba wax
- Caramel color
- Artificial colors (Yellow 6, Blue 1, Yellow 5 and Red 40)
In the 1970s, Jujyfruits held a promotion where customers could send five dollars and a token from a Jujyfruits carton to the Heide Candy Company and receive a brass buckle and leather belt in return.
In popular culture
- "Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. - Who We Are". Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. Archived from the original on 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Jujyfruits Promotion". The Candy Wrapper Museum. Retrieved 2010-04-07.