Alphonse Jacques de Dixmude
Baron Alphonse Jacques de Dixmude
|Birth name||Jules Marie Alphonse Jacques|
24 February 1858|
|Died||24 November 1928
Congo Free State
|Commands held||12th Regiment of the Line|
|Battles/wars||Battle of the Yser|
Jules Marie Alphonse Jacques, 1st Baron Jacques de Dixmude (24 February 1858 in Stavelot – 24 November 1928 in Ixelles), often known as General Jacques, was a Belgian soldier, general and colonial advocate.
Congo Free State
Captain Jacques was soon sent back to Belgium and was promoted to colonel. His greatest service was to come during World War I when he was mobilized and later took command of the 12th Regiment of the Line. He led his soldiers with great skill and extreme bravery, becoming a hero of the Belgian army in the first days of the invasion of the powerful German forces. In 1914, his troops successfully repelled two heavy German attacks near Antwerp that was crucial in giving the Belgian forces time to withdraw to the Yser. Later, on Belgian soil, he commanded the 3rd Belgian army division from 5 February 1917 to 4 October 1919. His troops prevented Diksmuide falling into the hands of the German army. This military achievement led to his elevation to the Nobility of Belgium as Baron Jacques de Dixmude in 1919.
"General Jacques" is commemorated by several statues and monuments around Belgium, including the "Boulevard Général Jacques" in Brussels as well as others in Nivelles, Chaudfontaine and Verviers and numerous statues. A bas-relief of Baron Jacques is included as part of the Liberty Memorial in Kansas City.
- Belgium : Created 1st baron Jacques de Dixmude, by Royal Decree.
- Belgium : Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold with Palm, 1919.
- Belgium : Commander of the Order of the Crown
- Belgium : Grand Cross of the Order of the Lion
- Belgium : War Cross
- Russia: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Anne
- France: Grand Officer in the Legion of Honour
- United Kingdom: Knight Grand Cross in the Order of St Michael and St George
- Knight Grand cross of the Order of the Star of Karađorđe with swords
- Commander of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Croix de Guerre 1914–1918
- Silver Medal of Military Valor
- "Baron Jules Jacques". Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Ingels, A. "Jacques de Dixmude, Baron" (in French). congoposte.be. Retrieved 13 December 2012.