Julia Bacha at the 72nd Annual Peabody Awards
|Born||1980 (age 38–39)|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Occupation||Director, Producer, Writer|
|Notable works||Budrus, Encounter Point, Control Room|
Julia Bacha (born 1980) is a Brazilian documentary filmmaker.
Bacha was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. When she was 17 she moved to the US to study Middle Eastern history and politics at Columbia University. She got accepted to Tehran University for a Master's degree but could not acquire a visa, and instead went to Cairo to work on a documentary, Control Room. In 2003, she graduated from the Columbia University School of General Studies.
Bacha has strategically used film to highlight under documented stories from the Middle East.
In 2004, she was the co-writer (with director Jehane Noujaim) and editor of Control Room, a documentary about Al Jazeera. Bacha and Noujaim received a nomination for the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Documentary Screenplay for the film. Two years later, she co-directed (with Ronit Avni) the documentary Encounter Point, which was the official selection at Tribeca Film Festival, Hot Docs, Jerusalem Film Festival, Vancouver International Film Festival and San Francisco International Film Festivals, where it won the Audience Award for Best Documentary. Bacha directed the 2009 documentary Budrus, which was shown at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival and became runner up in the festival's documentary competition. Budrus won over 18 international prizes, including the 2012 PUMA Creative.Impact Award, a prize given to the documentary film that had the greatest impact on society in any given year. In 2013, her 2012 film My Neighbourhood won the Peabody Award and premiered online at The Guardian. In 2014, it won a Special Mention at the Social Impact Media Awards. On November 12, 2017, her latest film, Naila and the Uprising (2017), premiered at the DOC NYC filmfestival.
- Control Room (2004) - Co-writer and editor
- Encounter Point (2006) - Co-Director
- Budrus (2009) - Director
- Home Front: Portraits From Sheikh Jarrah (2011) - Writer and Producer
- My Neighbourhood (2012) - Co-Director and Co-Producer
- Naila and the Uprising (2017) - Director
- 2003: Phi Beta Kappa prize upon graduation from Columbia University
- 2009: 2009 King Hussein Leadership Prize (co-recipient)
- 2010: Search for Common Ground Award
- 2011: Ridenhour Film Prize
- 2012: O Globo “Faz Diferença” Award
- "Julia Bacha - Budrus" (PDF). Berlin Film Festival. 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- Romero, Angie (23 February 2010). "Berlin Film Festival Spotlight: Julia Bacha's Budrus". Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Notable Alumni". gs.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- McNary, Dave (15 February 2005). "WGA serves up 1st doc kudo to 'Super'". Variety. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Budrus Laurels". Justvision.org. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Naila and the Uprising". DOC NYC. November 2017. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Naila and the Uprising". Just Vision. 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Julia Bacha page at Just Vision (retrieved 2010-8-2)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Julia Bacha.|