Julia Migenes (born March 13, 1943) is an American soprano working primarily in musical theatre repertoire. She was born on the Lower East Side of New York to a family of Greek and Irish-Puerto Rican descent. She is sometimes credited as Julia Migenes-Johnson. She attended The High School of Music & Art in New York City.
Julia Migenes played Tevye's second daughter, Hodel, in the original Broadway production of the long-running musical Fiddler on the Roof. She played Ciboletta in the 1973 film Eine Nacht in Venedig (re-released 2008). She also starred in the 1984 film of Carmen.
Early Career on Broadway
At age seven, Migenes originated the role of ‘Ngana’ in the first national tour of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific; she alternated in the role with her sister Maria. Also in the cast was her brother, John, in the role of Jerome, and her half-sister Jeanette as Bloody Mary’s Assistant (and understudy to Bloody Mary). Reportedly, the siblings made enough money from the tour to buy their family a small house in the Bronx.
She made her Broadway debut in the musical Carnival! She was a replacement understudy for the lead role of ‘Lili.’ Migenes performed the role from April 2 to April 14, 1962 when lead actress Anna Maria Alberghetti took vacation.
Migenes then took on the leading role of ‘Maria’ in the 1964 Broadway revival of West Side Story which played a limited run from April 8 – May 2, 1964 at City Center.
Migenes created the role of ‘Hodel,’ the second oldest of Tevye’s daughters in the original Broadway cast of Fiddler on the Roof. While the production ran for almost eight years (lasting over 3,200 performances and winning nine Tony Awards), Migenes’ tenure extended from the production’s first preview on September 17, 1964 through April 1, 1967. Mimi Turque succeeded her in the role of Hodel.
Migenes has been married four times. The first time was at age 18 to a singer whose identity remains unknown; the union was annulled two years later in 1963. Her second marriage to Danjo Hotnik ended in divorce, but brought Migenes her first daughter, Martina (born circa 1975). In 1979 Migenes married Jervis Johnson, with whom she had a second daughter, Jessica Allegra (born 1981). She married Hungarian film director Peter Medak in 1988; they divorced in 2003.
- Fiddler on the Roof (1964)
- Operette (1981)
- Julia Migenes sings (1981)
- Latin Lady (1982)
- Welterfolge (1983)
- A Christmas Concert (1983)
- Recital (1983)
- Carmen (1984) (movie soundtrack album)
- In Love (1985)
- Das Schonste Von Julia Migenes (AMIGA) (1987)
- Show Boat (1988)
- Berlin Blues (1988)
- The Seven Deadly Sins (1989)
- Live at the Olympia (1989)
- Mack the Knife (movie soundtrack album) (1990)
- Man of La Mancha (studio cast album) (1990, re-released 1996)
- La voix humaine (1991)
- Rags (1991)
- Kismet (1991) (studio cast album)
- Carmen (1991)
- Vienna (1993)
- Smile (with Michael Kamen) (1994)
- 100 ans de Cinema (1995)
- Lulu (1998)
- Robert Stolz (1999)
- Franz Lehár (1999)
- Infamia, Tangos de Barcelona (2000)
- La Argentina (2003)
- Le Meilleur de Julia (2004)
- Alter Ego (2006)
- Hollywood Divas (2009)
Migenes has been in a few TV shows including:
- The Twilight Zone "Grace Note" (1986)
- Webster "Leave It to Diva" (1987)
- Magnum, P.I. "Pleasure Principle" (1987)
- Carmen (1984) as Carmen
- Berlín Blues (1988) as Lola
- Mack the Knife (1989) as Jenny Diver
- The Krays (1990) as Judy Garland (uncredited)
- Lulu (Alban Berg). DVD 1980, Metropolitan Opera Co.pera==
- Lulu (Alban Berg). DVD 1980, Metropolitan Opera Co.
- "Julia Migenes – Broadway Cast & Staff | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2020-12-08.
- "JULIA MIGENES / Biography". October 5, 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-10-05.
- "Julia Migenes". The Official Masterworks Broadway Site. Archived from the original on 2017-12-16. Retrieved 2020-01-07.
- "South Pacific – Broadway Musical – Tour | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "27 Sep 1983, 8 - The Guardian at Newspapers.com". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- The Broadway League. "Carnival! – Broadway Musical – Original | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "Julia Migenes – Broadway Cast & Staff | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- The Broadway League. "Fiddler on the Roof – Broadway Musical – Original | IBDB". www.ibdb.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- Rockwell, John (1981-01-05). "Julia Migenes-Johnson, from Ingenue to the Met". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- "12 Jun 1985, 13 - South Idaho Press at Newspapers.com". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 2020-07-21.
- With Plácido Domingo, Ruggero Raimondi, Faith Esham, Lorin Maazel; Erato 2292-45207-2
- Official website (English & French)
- Julia Migenes at IMDb