Julia Parker (astrologer)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
New millennium astrological chart
Julia Parker (née Lethbridge) (b. 1932 in Plymouth, Devon) is an astrologer and author who, often in partnership with her husband Derek Parker, has written many popular and introductory books on astrology.
The most notable of Parker's books is the Compleat Astrologer, initially published in London in 1970, subsequently published in seventeen countries, and selling over a million copies. This has remained in print for over 30 years. The Compleat Astrologer has become known as the archetypal 'coffee-table' book on astrology and the first key reference source for many well-known professional astrologers. A revised and expanded edition, retitled The New Compleat Astrologer, was published by Random House in 1990, and gained renown for being "graphically stunning" and for its comprehensive treatment of astrology at a layman's level.
Julia Parker studied astrology at the Faculty of Astrological Studies in London. Later she became its secretary, and then its president for twelve years. She retains the role of patron. She has also acted as a trustee of the Urania Trust, a registered astrological charity.
Julia Parker has featured in many television programs and has written popular horoscope columns for Cosmopolitan, Company, Woman's Own and Good Housekeeping in the UK, and the Hong Kong Tatler. She resides in Sydney and describes herself as a designer and artist.
Publications in collaboration with Derek Parker are marked with "+".
- The Compleat Astrologer (1971 +), Random House, ISBN 0-517-38711-5
- The Compleat Lover (1972, +)
- Derek and Julia Parker's Love Signs (1973 +)
- The Compleat Astrologers' Love Signs (1974 +)
- The Immortals (1976 +)
- The Story and the Song: British musical comedy, (1979 +)
- How do you Know Who you Are? (1980 +)
- Do It Yourself Health (1982 +)
- A History of Astrology (1983 +) ISBN 0-233-97576-4
- The New Compleat Astrologer (1984 +) ISBN 0-85533-783-4
- Dreaming (1985 +)
- Life Signs (1986 +)
- A Traveller's Guide to Egypt + (1986)
- The Future Now (1988 +)
- A Traveller's Guide to Cyprus (1989 +)
- A World Atlas of the Supernatural (1990 +)
- The Secret World of your Dreams (1990 +)
- Parkers' Astrology (1991, 2009 +) ISBN 978-1-4053-4511-8
- The Power of Magic (1992 +)
- The Sun and Moon Signs Library (1992 +)
- Face Facts (1993 +)
- The Complete Book of Dreams (1995 +)
- Hearts of Fire (fiction,1995)
- The Stars Shine Bright (fiction, 1995)
- Love Signs (1996 +)
- Sun & Moon Signs, (1996 +), Dorling Kindersley (London), ISBN 0-7513-0396-8
- Parkers' Astrology Pack (1997 +)
- Parkers' Prediction Pack (1998 +)
- The KISS Guide to Astrology (2000 +) ISBN 0-7894-6044-0
- Astrology (2007 +), Dorling Kindersley (London)
- The Companion Guide to Astrology (2008 +) ISBN 978-1-4053-2198-3
- Parkers' Encyclopedia of Astrology (2010 +), Watkins Publishing (London) ISBN 1-905857-85-3
- Building Sydney's History (2011 +), Arcadia Publishing (Mount Pleasant, SC), ISBN 0-7385-4930-4
- Biography at astrologer.com , retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Kurtz, Paul, Skeptical Odysseys, Prometheus Books (2001) p.192. ISBN 978-1-57392-884-7. Link retrieved 1 August 2011.
- The New York Times book review, Volume 2, Arno Press (1976)
- Phillipson, Garry, Interview with Deborah Houlding, The Mountain Astrologer Issue #125 Feb/March 2006. "Very little of what I'd learnt in the class seemed to have sunk in, so I bought a copy of the Parkers' Compleat Astrologer and compiled the whole interpretation based on snippets I found in that."  Link retrieved 3 August 2011
- Lewis, Audrey, Madame Audrey's guide to mostly cheap but good reference books for small and rural libraries ALA (1998) p.10 ISBN 978-0-8389-0733-7. Link retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Publisher Dorling Kindersley Books Biography.  Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine.. Also Faculty of Astrological Studies Alumni; retrieved 2 August 2011.
- The Urania Trust: Guide to Worldwide Astrology 2002/3; p.4, para.7. Urania Trust (2002). "The present Trustees are Jonathan Powell (Chair), Julia Parker, Babs Kirby, Robert Currey, Lindsay Radermacher and Christeen Skinner".
- Miller, Martin.ed. The Best of British Women, Bath Press (1993) p.254 ISBN 0-9518631-2-6