Wertz reading at Union Hall in Brooklyn, 2013
December 29, 1982
San Francisco Bay Area
|Drinking at the Movies|
Wertz made her name with a comic strip titled The Fart Party, which Atomic Books anthologized in two volumes in 2007 and 2009, respectively. Soon after the strip's success, she retired The Fart Party, claiming she was unaware of its impending significance at the time of its creation. Wertz subsequently moved her online operations to the Museum of Mistakes site, where a few old Fart Party strips exist in the archive.
In 2010, Random House published Drinking at the Movies, Wertz's first full-length graphic memoir. Against the backdrop of her move from San Francisco to New York, the book details serious issues, such as a family member's battle with substance abuse and her own alcoholism, with trademark wit and self-effacement. The Los Angeles Times called Drinking at the Movies a "quiet triumph" and critic Rob Clough, in The Comics Journal, said Wertz had "brilliant old-school comic strip timing."  Drinking at the Movies was nominated for a 2011 Eisner Award in the Best Humor Publication category.
In September 2012, Koyama Press published The Infinite Wait and Other Stories, a collection of Wertz's short comic stories, which was nominated for an Eisner Award in the Best Reality Based Work category. In 2014, Atomic Books released Museum of Mistakes: The Fart Party Collection, which anthologized Wertz's early books, plus new and extra material. Her books have been translated into many languages.
From 2010 to 2012, Wertz was part of Pizza Island, a well known Greenpoint studio consisting of cartoonists Sarah Glidden, Lisa Hanawalt, Domitille Collardey, Karen Sneider, Kate Beaton and Meredith Gran.
In 2015, Wertz started a monthly comics series for The New Yorker, about lesser known historical events and facts about New York City, which appear online and in print. as well as a monthly illustration series of cityscapes for Harper's Magazine, and a monthly spoof-advice comic for The Believer (magazine) written by herself and her older brother Josh Wertz.
- The Fart Party, vol. 1, Atomic Book, 2007 (ISBN 978-0-9786569-3-5)
- The Fart Party, vol. 2, Atomic Book, 2009 (ISBN 978-0-9786569-4-2)
- Drinking at the movies, Random House, 2010 (ISBN 978-0-307-59183-8)
- Whiskey and New York, Altercomics, 2011 (ISBN 978-2-8207-0029-2)
- The Infinite Wait, Koyama Press, 2012 (ISBN 978-0-9879630-2-4)
- Museum of Mistakes: The Fart Party Collection, Atomic Books, 2014 (ISBN 978-0-9786569-6-6)
- L'attente infinie, Paris, L'Agrume, 2015. (ISBN 979-10-90743-28-1)
- "Entre Umas E Outras" Nemo 2016. (ISBN 978-85-8286-298-8)
- "Julia Wertz's Fart Party blows away; Museum of Mistakes steps in" Archived August 22, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.. Comics Beat. March 15, 2011. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- Ulin, David L. "Book review: 'Drinking at the Movies' by Julia Wertz". August 29, 2010. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- Clough, Rob. "Bottled Up: Drinking at the Movies". September 4, 2010. The Comics Journal. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- "2011 Eisner Award Nominations Announced". April 8, 2011. MTV Geek. Retrieved July 18, 2011.
- "The Infinite Wait and Other Stories". Koyama Press.
- Tom Spurgeon (October 21, 2012). "CR Sunday Interview: Julia Wertz". The Comics Reporter.
- "Interview with Julia Wertz". the Paris Review.
- "Pizza Island". New York Magazine.
- "New Yorker Contributors". The New Yorker.
- "The Believer Logger". The Believer.
- Adventure Bible School