Julian Michael Bashore|
September 4, 1972
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Board member of|
|Spouse(s)||Mari Bashore (m. 2002)|
Julian Bashore ( pronunciation; born September 4, 1972) is an American-born, Tokyo-based business man who has managed the Japanese operations of multiple multinational companies listed on the New York and London stock exchanges. He is the current Representative Director (2013–present) of MacDermid Performance Solutions Japan K.K. and the former Representative Director (2008-2013) of Bodycote Japan K.K. Bashore is recognized as one of the few Americans to take a leadership position in the Japanese business sector. As such, he is regarded as an expert in Japanese business and regularly writes and speaks on issues related to managing businesses in Japan. Prior to beginning his career, Bashore was educated at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a scholarship recipient.
Early life and education
Bashore was born in San Francisco and grew up in Pennsylvania, near Reading. He attended Tulpehocken High School. While a student at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, he spent a year in overseas study at the Stanford Japan Center where he studied the Japanese language, culture, politics and economy at the Kyoto Center for Japanese Studies.
PPG Industries, Inc. (NYSE:PPG)
After Bashore earned his Wharton business degree in 1995, he accepted a position with PPG Industries, an American manufacturer of coatings and chemicals. In that position, he worked initially as a sales engineer to supply paint to Japanese automakers' transplant factories in the U.S. and quickly pivoted his career into sales management and business development. He worked for PPG in total for thirteen years, nine of them in the company's subsidiary near Nagoya, Japan from where he ran the business for the entire country.
Bodycote plc (LON:BOY)
In 2007, a headhunter recruited him to join Bodycote plc, and he was hired by that British metallurgical firm to establish a base for the company in Japan in 2008, at the age of 35. As Representative Director of Bodycote Japan K.K., he made the unorthodox decision to set up the Japanese branch in Nagoya, rather than Tokyo where most multinationals establish their Japan headquarters. Bashore considered Nagoya to be the superior location because of its central location, good access to transportation, and lower prices than Tokyo.
Platform Specialty Products Corporation (NYSE:PAH)
In 2013, after turning 40, his professional career advanced as he was appointed the Representative Director of Nippon MacDermid Co., Ltd. (current MacDermid Performance Solutions Japan K.K.) in order to manage a multimillion-dollar business with this American manufacturer of specialty chemicals located in Japan. He was subsequently elected to the Board of Trustees of the Japan Electronics Packaging and Circuits Association at their annual general meeting in 2015. At that time, he was the first MacDermid employee selected as a trustee.
In 2016, Bashore was tapped to become a board member of Electroplating Engineers of Japan Ltd., a 50-year-old joint venture between Japan-based Tanaka Holdings Co., Ltd. and US-based Platform Specialty Products Corporation, which operated in the field of precious metals. He stepped down from this directorship in February 2018 after ownership of the cross-border JV was reverted to the Japanese partner following a strategic divestiture by the American counterpart.
Awards and recognition
- In 2009, Bashore won the Leader of the Year Award from the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, Chubu Chapter.
- In 2010, Bashore was named a Next-Era CEO in Asia by the Japan Times.
- In 2010, Bashore performed as a Master of Ceremonies for the 5th Annual ACCJ/TJCS Champagne Ball and Awards Evening.
- In 2011, Bashore served on the Program Committee at the Hot Isostatic Pressing Conference.
- In 2014, Bashore was a panelist at the Japanese Cross-border M&A Panel Discussion, sponsored by The Mergermarket Group, Allen & Overy and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Bashore, who maintains residences in both Nagoya and Tokyo due to career demands, is a member of the Tokyo American Club.
- "J.B." MacDermid Performance Solutions. August 1, 2017. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "MacDermid Performance Solutions Completes Major Expansion of Japan Facility". Yahoo! Finance. 4 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-12-30.
We are thrilled to be better able to serve our clients, ranging from printed circuit board manufacturers to automotive parts suppliers, through our long-term commitment exemplified by this expansion as well as the immediate positive impact it will have on customer service," stated Julian Bashore, General Manager of the MacDermid Enthone business in Japan. "This new location for MacDermid Enthone presents synergistic opportunities and allows us to conclude a lease in another city where we did not have the flexibility to grow.
- "Japan Supply Chain Summit - Successful Deployment of B2B Supply Chain Solutions in Japan: An Executive Perspective from a Manufacturer of Chemicals". Chain Media. February 3, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-02-03. Retrieved 2017-02-03.
- "MacDermid Electronics Solutions Announces Julian Bashore Elected to JPCA Board of Trustees". MacDermid, Inc. June 22, 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Bashore, Julian (29 December 2016). "In Japan, Forming a Joint Venture Can Create a Fast-Track to Success". Protechnology Japan. Archived from the original on 2016-12-30. Retrieved 2016-12-30.
- "Alumni Notes". University of Pennsylvania Gazette. October 24, 2013. Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Japan Network Updates: Julian Bashore". The Japan Times. March 27, 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-04-01. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- "Bodycote Expands Offerings in Japan". Bodycote plc. February 18, 2009. Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "I'm an ACCJ Member...Are You?" (PDF). Japanzine. August 1, 2009. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Young American penetrates Japanese manufacturing industry" (PDF). Japanese External Trade Organization. 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 17, 2009. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "100 Voices". Greater Nagoya Initiative. Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Alumni Notes". University of Pennsylvania Gazette. May 1, 2008. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "450 compete in language tourney". Reading Eagle. March 13, 1989. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Students take over reins of government, business". Reading Eagle. April 26, 1990. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "100 Next-Era CEOs in Asia". Japan Times. 2010. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Alumni Profiles". University of Pennsylvania Gazette. May 2008. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Chang, Yvonne (30 March 2010). "Niche firm skips Tokyo, sets up shop in Nagoya". Japan Times. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Did You Know..." (PDF). Tulpehocken Times. September 1, 2009. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- Bashore, Julian (15 June 2010). "SUPPLYING JAPAN". ACCJ Journal. Archived from the original on 13 October 2011. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Greater Nagoya Initiative Newsletter". Greater Nagoya Initiative Center. February 1, 2009. Archived from the original on 2016-10-24. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Montgomery, Gord (1 May 2013). "Heat Treat News Letter - May Issue 2013" (PDF). theMonty.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-12-30. Retrieved 2016-12-30.
Monday Morning Briefing. Let's start off with a couple of "people" items. It would appear that Julian Bayshore "Representative Director", Japan with Bodycote (not quite sure what that title means) has parted ways with the company.
- "Company Profile: MacDermid Performance Solutions Japan K.K." D&B Hoovers. 2018-01-01. Archived from the original on April 29, 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Weiner, Gene (1 August 2015). "Weiner's World - August 2015". Weiner International Associates. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
Times have certainly changed! I never thought I would see the day when one of the world's most monolithic societies would elect a foreigner (gaijin) to the Board of Trustees of one of its trade associations. ... Congratulations to Julian Bashore, Managing Director Japan of MacDermid Electronic Solutions, upon his election to the JPCA's Board of Trustees. Bashore will join executives from such firms as Fujitsu, Ibiden, Meiko, and Nippon Mektron for a two year term.
- Bashore, Julian (26 August 2015). "Western Firms Sourcing Parts from Japan in Record Numbers". Protechnology Japan. Archived from the original on 2016-10-16. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "MacDermid Electronics Solutions' Julian Bashore Elected to JPCA Board of Trustees". IConnect007. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "MacDermid's Julian Bashore Elected to JPCA Board of Trustees". U.S.Tech - The Global Electronics Publication. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-01.
- Bashore, Julian (1 April 2016). "Japan's Smart-tech Firms Offer Investors Big Rewards". Protechnology Japan. Archived from the original on 2016-10-16. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- "MacDermid Performance Solutions and Tanaka Discontinue EEJA Joint Venture". Global SMT & Packaging. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "2009 Champagne Ball". www.champagne-ball.com. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "Mr. Julian Bashore". Flickr.com. 2009. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
In recognition of your energetic and unwavering support of the ACCJ Chubu Chapter, the ACCJ Chubu Chapter honors you with the 2009 Leader of the Year Award. Your contribution to the chapter and your growing leadership in its affairs is an inspiration to all members.
- "2010 Champagne Ball". www.champagne-ball.com. Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- "Program Committee". hotisostaticpressing.net. 2011. Archived from the original on 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Expanding Global Reach: Japanese Cross-border M&A Panel Discussion, Osaka". The Mergermarket Group. 2014-10-07. Archived from the original on December 22, 2016. Retrieved 2017-07-29.
- "Yokoso". iNTOUCH Magazine. July 1, 2015. Retrieved 2016-09-25.