Dennison in 2016
|Born||26 October 2002|
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Julian Bailey Dennison (born 26 October 2002) is a New Zealand actor. He debuted in the 2013 film Shopping, for which he won the New Zealand Film Award for Best Supporting Actor. He is best known for his roles as Ricky Baker in Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016), the highest-grossing New Zealand film in history, and as Russell "Firefist" Collins in Deadpool 2 (2018). Dennison has appeared in multiple commercials for companies including Lynx and Air New Zealand.
Life and career
Dennison was born and raised in Naenae, New Zealand. He is the third child of a family of four children, with the youngest being his twin brother Christian. Julian is of Māori descent and is a member of the iwi (tribe) Ngāti Hauā and the pouhara (canoe) Tainui. He attended Naenae Primary School, where he first auditioned for the film Shopping (2013). He was then cast in the Australian film Paper Planes (2015). He later attended Hutt International Boys' School in Upper Hutt.
Dennison continued with acting and was given a role in an advertisement for the NZ Transport Agency to discourage driving under the influence of drugs. The public service announcement, which became an internet sensation in New Zealand and Australia, was directed by Taika Waititi, who later asked Dennison to star in his film Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) without the need to audition. The film went on to become New Zealand's highest-grossing film to date, and was critically acclaimed.
Dennison played Russell Collins / Firefist in the 2018 film Deadpool 2. He was cast because of his Wilderpeople performance, and the friendship of Waititi with Deadpool's filmmakers. In June 2018, Dennison was the first to be cast for Godzilla vs. Kong in a supporting role. Dennison currently lives in Foxton, New Zealand.
|2013||Shopping||Solomon||Winner, New Zealand Film Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2016||Hunt for the Wilderpeople||Ricky Baker||Winner, New Zealand Film Awards 2017 for Best Actor|
|2018||Deadpool 2||Russell Collins / Firefist|
|2020||Godzilla vs. Kong||Post-production|
|2016||Funny Girls||Himself||Series 2|
- Entertainment Tonight (24 May 2018). "'Deadpool 2': Zazie Beetz and Julian Dennison (Full Interview)" – via YouTube.
- Barlow, Helen (28 January 2016). "Julian Dennison talks working with Taika Waititi". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "NZ Film Awards: Shopping picks up seven Moas". The New Zealand Herald. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Meet Julian Dennison, young star of 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople'". Metro US. 27 June 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Blazed - Drug Driving in Aotearoa | Commercial | NZ On Screen". www.nzonscreen.com. NZ On Screen. Retrieved 18 May 2018.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Ryan Reynolds Reveals Why He Cast Julian Dennison AKA Ricky Baker In Deadpool 2 | MTV". Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Rave reviews for Deadpool 2's 'fantastic' Julian Dennison". NZ Herald. 15 May 2018. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Murphy, Charles (1 June 2018). "Exclusive: 'Deadpool 2's' Julian Dennison Joins 'Godzilla vs. Kong'". That Hashtag Show. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Credits | Chronesthesia". NZ On Screen. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- Media related to Julian Dennison at Wikimedia Commons
- Julian Dennison on Facebook
- Julian Dennison on IMDb
- Julian Dennison at NZ on Screen
|This article about a New Zealand actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|