Julian Gollop is a British designer of strategy games and strategy video games, and the founder of now-defunct game studios Mythos Games (Target Games) and Codo Technologies. Gollop has designed many video games for numerous systems since the early 1980s. His most popular work to date is the X-COM series of science fiction games, in particular the first and third games in the series, on which he worked together with his brother, Nick, for MicroProse.
In 2009, IGN ranked Julian Gollop and Nick at 66th place among the top video game creators of all time. 2012's video game XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis Games pays homage to them in the form of "the Gollop Chamber" facility in the XCOM base. As of 2014, he lives and works in Sofia, Bulgaria, since 2006 after marrying in 2002.
|Rebelstar Raiders||1984||Red Shift|
|Chaos: The Battle of Wizards||1985||Games Workshop|
|Rebelstar II||1988||Silverbird Software|
|Laser Squad||1988||Blade Software
Micro League Multimedia
|Lords of Chaos||1990||Blade Software|
|UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense||1994||MicroProse
Spectrum HoloByte (Japan)
|Magic and Mayhem||1998|
|The Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge||Cancelled||n/a|
|Laser Squad Nemesis||2002||
|Rebelstar: Tactical Command||2005||Namco|
Feral Interactive (Mac OS X)
|Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars||2011||Ubisoft|
|Assassin's Creed III: Liberation||2012||Ubisoft|
- "IGN - 66. Nick Gollop and Julian Gollop". Uk.games.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "X-Com creator Julian Gollop on how he would have designed Enemy Unknown differently, and why it would have failed | News". PC Gamer. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Julian Gollop - Google". Plus.google.com. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- David Jenkins (2014-04-01). "XCOM creator Julian Gollop interview – Chaos Reborn on Kickstarter | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "Gollop Games Sunday, November 4, 2012 Chaos Reborn". Gollopgames.com. 2012-11-04. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Julian Gollop’s Chaos Reborn now has a map editor, feature list | News". PC Gamer. 2012-11-18. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- Gollop Games, Julian Gollop's blog
- Julian Gollop at MobyGames
- Chaos Squad: A game tribute site to Julian Gollop
- All Your History: X-COM Part 1: British Invasion by machinima
- The Story of X-Com: From the school playground to Laser Squad Nemesis in the words of Julian Gollop at Eurogamer (2010)
- Interview With XCOM Creator Julian Gollop at NowGamer (2011)
- Julian Gollop interview: on X-Coms old and new, the Ghost Recon strategy game that never was, AI, auteurs and "Fork My Fruit" at PC Gamer (2013)
- XCOM Commanders: Jake Solomon and Julian Gollop interviewed at Firaxis Games (2013)
- X-COM & Tactical Games. With Julian Gollop at the Game Design Round Table (2013)
- Ninterview: Legendary Designer Julian Gollop On Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem And Chaos Reborn at Nintendo Life (2014)
- 30 years of creating strategy games with X-COM's Julian Gollop at Gamasutra (2014)
- 'Chaos Reborn' Interview - X-Com Creator Julian Gollop's Turn-Based Strategy Revival at Forbes (2014)
- What XCOM creator Julian Gollop did next at Eurogamer (2014)
|This biographical article relating to a video game specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|