Julian High School (Chicago)
|Julian High School|
|10330 S. Elizabeth Street
Chicago, Illinois 60643
|School type||Public Secondary|
|Motto||"Heart. Head. Hand"|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Myron L. Hester|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Percy L. Julian High School is a public 4–year high school located in the Washington Heights neighborhood on the far south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Opened in 1975, Juilan is a part of the Chicago Public Schools district. Julian is named for African-American research chemist Percy Lavon Julian.
Julian was established in August 1974 to relieve overcrowding at area schools by the Chicago Board of Education. Upon its construction and opening, the school was often referred to as the 103rd and Dan Ryan Site High School by city and school officials. Designed by Chicago native and architect Myron Goldsmith (who also designed another Chicago–area high school a year prior, Corliss High School; which shares a similar design to Julian), the school was constructed over two phases between November 1974 through May 1975. The school opened for students on September 3, 1975 and was renamed after Percy L. Julian by the school's founding principal Dr. Edward H. Oliver. Oliver served as principal of the school from 1975 until June 1992.
On October 22, 2013, Twenty–nine students were arrested and charged with mob action after a fight involving a large group took place at the school. The fight was believed to be between members of rival street gangs.
Julian competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The school sport teams are nicknamed the Jaguars. The boys' wrestling team became public league champions and Class AA two times (1981–82, 1986–87). The girls' basketball team became regional champions during the 2003–04 season. The boys' basketball team were regional champions and Class AA three times (2002–03, 2003–04, 2004–05).
- Corwin Brown – (class of 1988), NFL football player, (New England Patriots).
- Jason Burns (attended) – NFL football player, (Cincinnati Bengals).
- Sean Dockery – (class of 2002), IBL basketball player, Edmonton Chill.
- Howard Griffith – (class of 1986), NFL two-time Super Bowl champ with the (Denver Broncos).
- Byron Irvin – (class of 1984), NBA basketball player, Washington Bullets.
- Danny Walters – (class of 1979), NFL football player, (San Diego Chargers).
- Chris Washington – (class of 1980), NFL football player, (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Chicago Public Schools: Julian
- "Institution Summary for Julian High School". AdvancED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Yearbooks: 1987 Julian High School (Chicago, IL.)
- Biographical Memoirs, Volume 52 – Percy Lavon Julian
- Contemporary Architects – Myron Goldsmith
- The Greatest Black Achievers in History – Percy Lavon Julian (1899–1975)
- ABC7 Chicago – 29 students charged in Julian High School Fight – October 23, 2013
- Huffington Post – (CHICAGO) Julian High School Brawl: 29 Students Arrested After Massive ‘Disturbance’ At South Side School – October 23, 2013
- IHSA Chicago (Julian)