Julian Lage performs at the 2014 Monterey Jazz Festival.
|Born||December 25, 1987 (age 27)|
|Origin||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Associated acts||Gary Burton, Mark O'Connor, Taylor Eigsti, Eric Harland|
|Linda Manzer Blue Note|
Lage has played with such renowned artists as Jim Hall, Mark O'Connor, Ambrose Akinmusire, Dayna Stephens, Walter Smith III, Taylor Eigsti, Gary Burton, Eric Harland, Larry Grenadier, Fred Hersch, Béla Fleck, Antonio Sanchez, and Nels Cline, among others.
A child prodigy, Lage was the subject of the 1997 documentary Jules at Eight. At age 13 Lage performed at the 2000 Grammy Awards. He has been a faculty member at the Stanford Jazz Workshop at Stanford University since age 15. Classically trained at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, Lage has studied at Sonoma State University, Ali Akbar College of Music, and graduated from the Berklee College of Music in 2008.
On March 24, 2009 Lage released his debut album Sounding Point on EmArcy Records, to favorable reviews. It was nominated for the 2010 Grammy Award Best Contemporary Jazz Album. Lage's second album, titled Gladwell was released April 26, 2011, to positive reviews.
- Sounding Point (2009)
- Gladwell (2011)
- World's Fair (2015)
- Racy (2013)
- Close to Picture (2013)
- Free Flying (2013)
- Avalon (2014)
- ROOM (2014) - with Nels Cline
- David Grisman: Dawg Duos (1999)
- Gary Burton: Generations (2004)
- Taylor Eigsti: Next Generations (2005)
- Taylor Eigsti: Lucky To Be Me (2006)
- Taylor Eigsti: Let It Come To You (2008)
- Taylor Eigsti: Daylight At Midnight (2010)
- Eric Harland: Voyager: Live By Night (2010)
- Gary Burton: Common Ground (2011)
- Nicole Henry: Embraceable (2011)
- Sophie Milman: In The Moonlight (2011)
- Anthony Wilson: Seasons: Live At The Metropolitan Museum Of Art (2011)
- Dayna Stephens: Today Is Tomorrow (2012)
- Ariel Pocock: Touchstone (2013)
- Gary Burton: Guided Tour (2013)
- Dayna Stephens: Peace (2014)
- Eric Harland: Vipassana (2014)
- Deluke, R J (2009-03-23). "Julian Lage: Stepping Into the Limelight". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- "Stanford Jazz Festival, Jazz Camp & Jazz Residency: A swinging success!". Stanford Jazz Workshop. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- Nastos, Michael. "Sounding Point: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- Fordham, John (2009-05-01). "Julian Lage: Sounding Point". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Henderson, Alex. "Gladwell: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Alkyer, Frank (2011-05-01). "Julian Lage Group, Gladwell". Downbeat. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Chinen, Nate (2011-05-02). "Julian Lage "Gladwell"". New York Times. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- Gilbert, Andrew (2011-04-22). "Noisy Neighbors, New sounds from close to home". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- DeFranceschi, Joe (2009-12-15). "Julian Lage: What He Plays". Acoustic Guitar. Retrieved 2011-02-27.