Julian Przyboś in 1940s
March 5, 1901|
October 6, 1970 (aged 69)|
|Occupation||Poet, essayist, translator|
|Literary movement||Kraków Avantgarde|
Julian Przyboś (5 March 1901 – 6 October 1970) was a Polish poet, essayist and translator, one of the most important poets of Kraków Avantgarde.
He was born in Gwoźnica near Strzyżów to a peasant family. Since 1912 attended gymnasium in Rzeszów. In 1920 took part in fights against Soviet Russia during the Polish-Soviet War. In 1920-1923 studied Polish studies at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków and later worked as a teacher in Sokal (1923–1925), Chrzanów (1925–1927) and Cieszyn (1927–1939). During his stay in Cieszyn Przyboś published his works in Zaranie Śląskie (1929–1938). He also published in many other magazines before and after the war.
In December 1939 Przyboś relocated to Lwów and in 1941 was arrested by Gestapo, Nazi German secret police. After World War II he became a member of the Polish Workers' Party, and later the Polish United Workers' Party. In 1947-1951 worked as a diplomat in Switzerland and later became director of the Jagiellonian Library in Kraków. After the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 Przyboś left the Polish United Workers' Party.
- Śruby (1925)
- Oburącz (1926)
- Z ponad (also known as Sponad) (1930)
- W głąb las (1932)
- Równanie serca (1938)
- Póki my żyjemy (1944)
- Miejsce na ziemi (1945)
- Czytając Mickiewicza (1950)
- Rzut pionowy (1952) - poetry collection
- Najmniej słów. Poezje. Materiały poetyckie. Objaśnienia (1955)
- Linia i gwar, vol. 1-2 (1956)
- Narzędzie ze światła (1958)
- Więcej o manifest (1962)
- Sens poetycki (1963)
- Na znak (1965)
- Kwiat nieznany (1968)
- Hierowski, Zdzisław (1947). 25 lat literatury na Śląsku 1920–1945. Katowice — Wrocław: Wydawnictwa Instytutu Śląskiego. OCLC 69489660.
- Szleszyński, Bartłomiej (July 2003). "Julian Przyboś". Wydział Polonistyki Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego.
- Jurgała-Jurecka, Joanna (2009). Historie zwyczajne i nadzwyczajne, czyli znani literaci na Śląsku Cieszyńskim. Cieszyn: Biblioteka Miejska w Cieszynie. pp. 47–67. ISBN 978-83-915660-9-1.
|This article about a Polish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|