Juliane House (born 1942) is a German Linguist and Translation Scholar.
Juliane House received a degree in English and Spanish Translation and International Law from the University of Heidelberg, Germany. Later she worked as a translator and researcher. She got her BEd, MA and PhD in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics from the University of Toronto, Canada.
She is a senior member of the German Science Foundation’s Research Centre on Multilingualism at the University of Hamburg, where she has directed several projects on translation and interpreting. Her research interests include translation theory and practice, contrastive pragmatics, discourse analysis, politeness theory, English as a lingua franca, intercultural communication and global business communication.
Juliane House is currently[when?] the Chair of Linguistics Programs and Director of the PhD in Applied Linguistics:Discourse in English Language Teaching, Testing or Translation/Interpreting Program at Hellenic American University.
List of works by Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Juliane House:
- A Model for Translation Quality Assessment (1977 and revisited 1997)
- Let's Talk and Talk About It: A Pedagogic Interactional Grammar of English (1981) with Willis Edmondson
- Interlingual and Intercultural Communication (1986) with Shoshana Blum-Kulka
- Cross-Cultural Pragmatics: requests and apologies (1989) with Shoshana Blum-Kulka and Gabriele Kasper
- Einführung in die Sprachlehrforschung (1993, revised ed. 2011) with Willis Edmondson
- Misunderstanding in Social Life. Discourse Approaches to Problematic Talk. (2003) with Gabriele Kasper and Steven Ross
- Multilingual Communication (2004) with Jochen Rehbein.
- Translation (2009).
- Translatory Action and Intercultural Communication (2009) with Kristin Bührig and Jan ten Thije.
- English as a Lingua Franca. Special Issue of Intercultural Pragmatics vol 6, No. 2. 2009.
- Convergence and Divergence in Language Contact Situations. (2010) with Kurt Braunmüller.
- Globalization, Discourse, Media. In a Critical Perspective. (2010) with Anna Duszak and Lukasz Kumiega.
- Impoliteness in Germany. (2010) Intercultural Pragmatics 7:4. 2010
- Probst, J.: Ein Kompliment in Ehren … Aspekte eines „höflichen“ Sprechaktes in mehreren Sprachen, in: Übersetzen, Interkulturelle Kommunikation, Spracherwerb und Sprachvermittlung - das Leben mit mehreren Sprachen. Festschrift für Juliane House zum 60. Geburtstag, Zeitschrift für Interkulturellen Fremdsprachenunterricht, 2003 ==References==
- "Juliane House". VIAF. Retrieved Sep 30, 2012.
- "CV of Juliane House". University of Hamburg. Retrieved Sep 30, 2012.
- "IATIS Executive Council". IATIS. Retrieved Sep 30, 2012.
- "Publications of Juliane House". University of Hamburg. Retrieved Sep 30, 2012.
|This article about a German academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography about a translator from Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|