March 18, 1981 |
Chicago, Illinois, United States
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||64.5 in (164 cm)|
|Style||Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Team||Jackson's Submission Fighting|
|Rank||Taekwondo from Monroe County Martial Arts3rd degree black belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Julie Kedzie (born March 18, 1981) is a retired American mixed martial artist. She is a third degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and specializes in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Along with her fighting career, Kedzie is also Greg Jackson's personal assistant at Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts. Kedzie has been working for Invicta Fighting Championships as a fight commentator and interviewer. In December 2013, Kedzie became the new matchmaker for Invicta FC.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Mixed martial arts record
- 4 HOOKnSHOOT - 2005 Women's Grand Prix Bracket
- 5 Accomplishments
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Kedzie was born in Chicago, Illinois and moved to Bloomington, Indiana when she was twelve so her mother could pursue a doctorate in neurobiology from Indiana University. She has a sister named Jenny Raff.
She and her sister were enrolled in Tae Kwon Do by her father when Julie was five years old.
She studied under Steve and Linda Scott at Monroe County Martial Arts. She later returned to teach a one-time mixed martial arts class.
Mixed martial arts career
On February 10, 2007, Kedzie faced undefeated rising star Gina Carano in a featured bout at EliteXC: Destiny, which aired live on Showtime. She was defeated by Carano, but the fight received Fight of the Night honours.
Kedzie later signed a contract with the American Fight League, but the promotion folded and Kedzie was released from her contract.
Jackson's MMA Series
Kedzie was scheduled to face Sarah D'Alelio at Jackson's MMA Series 2 on September 4, 2010, but the fight was canceled after Kedzie signed on to take part in the filming of the Ultimate Women Challenge reality show. The show never made it to air, and 7 contestants sued the producers, claiming they were never paid.
She then faced Kaitlin Young in a five-round title rematch at Jackson's MMA Series 4 on April 9, 2011. Kedzie defeated Young by unanimous decision to become Jackson's MMA Series Women's Bantamweight Champion.
Kedzie was scheduled to fight Amanda Nunes at the Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum event on June 18, 2011, in Dallas, Texas. The bout, however, was cancelled after Nunes sustained a foot injury.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Kedzie faced Bethe Correia at UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot on December 7, 2013. She lost the fight via split decision and subsequently announced her retirement from mixed martial arts competition via Twitter.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||16 wins||13 losses|
|Loss||16–13||Bethe Correia||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Bigfoot||December 7, 2013||3||5:00||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|Loss||16–12||Germaine de Randamie||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||16–11||Miesha Tate||Submission (armbar)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||3||3:28||San Diego, California, United States|
|Loss||16–10||Alexis Davis||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||16–9||Kaitlin Young||Decision (unanimous)||Jackson's MMA Series 4||April 9, 2011||5||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States||Won Jackson's MMA Series Women's Bantamweight Championship|
|Win||15–9||Sarah D'Alelio||Decision (unanimous)||Jackson's MMA Series 3||December 18, 2010||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||14–9||Kaitlin Young||Decision (split)||Ultimate Women Challenge||September 24, 2010||3||3:00||St. George, Utah, United States|
|Win||14–8||Malissa Sherwood||Decision (unanimous)||Jackson's MMA Series 1||June 5, 2010||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||13–8||Katrina Alendal||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Life: Ultimate Freedom Throwdown||July 4, 2009||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||12–8||Sarah Schneider||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Duke City MMA Series 1||March 14, 2009||1||2:01||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||12–7||Angela Hayes||Submission (armbar)||Battlequest 8||April 11, 2008||1||4:26||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||11–7||Tonya Evinger||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series||January 25, 2008||1||1:43||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||11–6||Jan Finney||TKO (punches)||HOOKnSHOOT: MW Tournament||September 29, 2007||2||2:44||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
|Win||10–6||Kelly Kobold||Decision (unanimous)||BodogFight: Vancouver||August 24, 2007||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||9–6||Julia Berezikova||TKO (punches)||BodogFight: Clash of the Nations||April 14, 2007||2||2:49||St. Petersburg, Russia|
|Loss||8–6||Gina Carano||Decision (unanimous)||EliteXC: Destiny||February 10, 2007||3||3:00||Southaven, Mississippi, United States|
|Loss||8–5||Amanda Buckner||Submission (guillotine choke)||BodogFight: St. Petersburg||December 16, 2006||1||2:21||St. Petersburg, Russia|
|Win||8–4||Molly Helsel||Decision (majority)||HOOKnSHOOT: The Women Return||November 18, 2006||3||5:00||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
|Win||7–4||Jan Finney||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Meltdown||October 7, 2006||2||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||6–4||Tara LaRosa||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Cage Wars||July 8, 2006||3||5:00||Chelan, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–3||Amanda Duvall||TKO (punches)||Cage Rage Indiana||May 6, 2006||1||0:18||Indiana, United States|
|Win||5–3||Sasha Mrvic||Decision (unanimous)||Combat Do Fighting Challenge 7||April 22, 2006||3||5:00||Cicero, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||4–3||Shayna Baszler||Submission (armbar)||Freestyle Combat Challenge 22||March 18, 2006||1||N/A||Racine, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||4–2||Molly Helsel||Decision (split)||HOOKnSHOOT: 2005 Women's Grand Prix||November 19, 2005||3||5:00||Evansville, Indiana, United States||Won 2005 HOOKnSHOOT Women's Grand Prix|
|Win||3–2||Jan Finney||Decision (unanimous)||HOOKnSHOOT: 2005 Women's Grand Prix||November 19, 2005||3||5:00||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
|Win||2–2||Missy Karr||Submission (keylock)||HOOKnSHOOT: 2005 Women's Grand Prix||November 19, 2005||1||N/A||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||1–2||Jen Case||Submission (triangle choke)||HOOKnSHOOT: Arnold Classic||March 4, 2005||2||2:11||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Jen Case||Submission (armbar)||HOOKnSHOOT: Evolution||November 6, 2004||1||2:51||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
|Win||1–0||Terry Blair||Submission (armbar)||HOOKnSHOOT: Live||March 27, 2004||2||2:13||Evansville, Indiana, United States|
HOOKnSHOOT - 2005 Women's Grand Prix Bracket
This tournament was held on November 19, 2005.
- 2005 HOOKnSHOOT Women's Grand Prix Champion
- Extreme Grappling Open Champion
- World Kickboxing Association National Champion
- Jackson's MMA Series Women's Bantamweight Champion (2011)
- "Exclusive Interview With Julie Kedzie". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Jackson Fight Team". Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-08-14. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "Fight Finder Profile". Sherdog. 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "Monroe County Martial Arts Bloomington, Indiana M.C.M.A. Black Belts". monroecountymartialarts.com. 2009-09-06. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "Caged Warfare MMA fighter talks mentality, training and how she keeps cool in the heat of battle". alibi.com. 2009-07-02. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "INVICTAFC.COM TO STREAM ENTIRE BASZLER VS. MCMANN WOMEN’S MMA EVENT FREE OF CHARGE JULY 28 FROM KANSAS CITY, KAN.". InvictaFC.com. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- "Tough Enough" (PDF). SusanBrackney.com. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Monday Morning Reverie: How Do You Spell "Anticlimax"?". Sherdog.com. 2007-02-17. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "Carano, Opportunity Knock for Kobald". Sherdog.com. 2008-09-26. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "American Fight League inks Julie Kedzie, Roxanne Modafferi and Emily Thompson". MMAjunkie.com, by John Morgan. 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- "Kedzie vs D'Alelio Set For Jackson's MMA Series 2". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "UWC Signings Force Cancellation Of Fights". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "Lawsuit Filed Against Ultimate Women Challenge Producers". mmahq.com. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "September 2010 Ultimate Women Challenge Results Released". MMARising.com. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Kedzie To Face D’Alelio At Jackson’s MMA Series 3". MMARising.com. 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- "Bedford Upsets WEC Vet Gomez, Kedzie Wins at Jackson’s MMA". Sherdog.com. 2010-12-19. Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "Kaitlin Young vs Julie Kedzie Set For Jackson's MMA Series". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Julie Kedzie Edges Kaitlin Young For Jackson's MMA Title". MMARising.com. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "Amanda Nunes Meets Julie Kedzie at Strikeforce on June 18". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-05-20.
- "Amanda Nunes out of "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" due to injury". MMAjunkie.com. 2011-06-01.
- "Alexis Davis vs. Julie Kedzie Latest Addition to Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson Card". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Strikeforce Adds Two More Women's Bouts To July 30 Card". MMARising.com. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Strikeforce Prelims: Davis Smothers, Outpoints Kedzie". Sherdog.com. 2011-07-30. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "Julie Kedzie Off Strikeforce Challengers Card Due to Injury; Replacement Search Underway". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-08-29. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Miesha Tate vs Julie Kedzie Set For August 18 Strikeforce Card". MMARising.com. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Ronda Rousey Submits Sarah Kaufman, Retains Strikeforce Title". MMARising.com. 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Strikeforce Prelims: Miesha Tate Armbar Submits Julie Kedzie". Sherdog.com. 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Julie Kedzie vs. Germaine de Randamie booked for July's UFC on FOX 8 event". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "Liz Carmouche, Germaine De Randamie Win At UFC On FOX 8". MMARising.com. 2013-07-27. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "UFC on FOX 8 results/photos: Germaine de Randamie knees way past Julie Kedzie". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-07-27. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- Guilherme Cruz (2013-11-13). "Julie Kedzie meets undefeated Bethe Correia at UFC Fight Night 33". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2013-12-07). "Women’s MMA pioneer Julie Kedzie retires following UFC Fight Night 33 loss". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-07.