|Occupation||Author, media personality|
iDate - Best Dating Coach (2017)
Julie Spira is an author and media personality on the subjects of online dating, social media, mobile dating, and netiquette. She wrote The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Spira has written about the intersection of love and technology for numerous publications.
Broadcasting and technology
While attending Ithaca College, Spira, then known as Julie Evans, became the first female on-air personality at WAAL-FM in Binghamton, NY. Spira’s digital career began when she worked for RKO Radio Networks as manager, Affiliate Relations in New York City. She relocated to Los Angeles, where she opened the west coast Affiliate office for RKO and was promoted to Director, Affiliate Relations. Her technology career grew further as she oversaw high speed Internet via satellite to over 100 countries while serving as Executive Vice President of Sales for Interpacket Networks.
While a technology executive and early adopter of the Internet, Spira became a charter member of Love@AOL in 1994, which was acquired by Match.com. Passionate about the intersection of love and technology, she began coaching singles on the Internet at this time and started writing online dating profiles for single men and women.
Spira is often called upon as an online dating expert. She has made many appearances and been quoted by major media outlets including USA Today, Mashable, and The New York Post, to discuss online dating safety, mobile dating, and other relationship topics. Her dating advice has appeared on numerous online dating sites including, Match.com, eHarmony, JDate, PlentyofFish, and Zoosk. Spira has been a guest on NPR’s All Things Considered as a mobile dating expert, speaking about the history of computer dating from the 1950s to the present day of mobile dating apps. Spira’s Mobile Dating Bootcamp was featured in the Washington Post, where she discussed the rapid growth of mobile dating and social networking applications and she has been called on by the New York Times and other media outlets as a Tinder Dating Expert.
The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online is a tell all memoir of Spira’s 250 online dates. The book was published in February 2009 by Morgan James Publishing and includes Internet dating advice for singles. The Santa Monica Daily Press called it “a must for this generation of singles, both male and female, who are into cyber-dating" and dating site JDate listed Spira's book as one of "5 Must Reads for Women." Spira’s second book will be titled The Rules of Netiquette: How to Mind your Manners on the Web.
Spira first termed the phrase Social Media Anxiety Disorder in 2012, where she provided five signs of SMAD in an article on Huffington Post, “Do You Suffer from Social Media Anxiety Disorder." Other media outlets continue to cite her on social media anxiety issues including Digital Journal, Elite Daily, and Digital Trends.
Spira is a frequent speaker at social media conferences. She was listed as one of the "Top 10 Columnists to Follow on Twitter" by YourTango, where she has appeared in a series of online dating videos.
Spira has shared her online dating and netiquette expertise at the following speaking engagements:
- 140 Conference (New York, April 2010)
- 140 Conference (Los Angeles, 2010, 2013)
- BEA at NAB Show, (Las Vegas, 2014)
- Digital Hollywood, (Los Angeles, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Digital LA (Los Angeles, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Internet Dating Conference, Las Vegas (2013, 2014)
- Internet Dating Conference, Miami (2010, 2011, 2016)
- Mobile Dating Conference, Beverly Hills (2012, 2013)
- Social Media Club (Los Angeles 2010, 2013, 2014)
- Silicon Beach Fest (Los Angeles, 2015, 2016)
- Social Media Week (Los Angeles, 2013, 2013)
- Blog World and New Media Expo (Los Angeles, 2011)
- New York Public Library (New York, April 2010)
- The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online
In 2017, Spira was awarded "Best Dating Coach of the Year" at the iDate Awards, the dating industry's most recognized awards ceremony, which celebrated her for her excellence in navigating love.
- Psychology Today, Elizabeth Svoboda, January 01, 2011, The Thoroughly Modern Guide to Breakups – Psychology Today
- Why Would You Break Up By Sending a Text? - Sharon Jayson - USA Today - July 19, 2013 
- When Cupid Can't Hide - Jozen Cummings - October 21, 2012 - New York Post 
- Radio Broadcasting History Radio People by Name (S2) Archived 2012-08-01 at the Wayback Machine.
- DIR Planning Own Syndication - Billboard - February 20, 1982
- InterPacket Networks Reaches Global Landmark: Delivering Internet Services in 100 Countries Worldwide - Business Wire - May 18, 2000 
- Online and mobile dating face privacy, safety concerns - USA Today - Sharon Jayson - March 27, 2014 
- New Social Media Love Rules - Joann Pan - July 9, 2012 - Mashable -
- Searching for love on Instagram clicks with many singles - Annie Daly - New York Post - April 13, 2014 
- First Date Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make - Julie Spira - Match.com
- Men - 5 Simple Ways to Charm Your Date - Julie Spira - eHarmony.com
- How to Date Someone Who is in Transition - Julie Spira - JDate.com
- Halloween Costumes to Rock Your Dating Life - Julie Spira - pof.com
- Zoosk.com Advice: Ask Julie Spira, Online Dating Expert - Zoosk.com
- Smartphone Apps Help More Singles Find The Boy (Or Girl) Next Door - Lauren Silverman - NPR's All Things Considered - August 20, 2012 
- Mobile dating apps grow in popularity - Amrita Jayakumar - The Washington Post - August 18, 2012 
- Wood, Molly (2015-02-04). "Led by Tinder, a Surge in Mobile Dating Apps". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Hookup Games? Tinder use skyrockets in Rio". NBC Olympics. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Mobile Love Industry - Love Industries - VICE Video". VICE Video. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Five Must Reads for Women this Season | JLife". JLife. 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Mind Your Virtual Manners - NBC New York
- Julie Spira Signs Foreign Rights Agreement for The Perils of Cyber-Dating - Webwire – September 29, 2010 
- "How to manage social media and cope with newsfeed stress". 2017-02-01. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Auteri, Steph (2010-02-05). "Twitter Top 10: Advice Columnists To Follow". Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Spira, Julie (2014-05-20). "You've Been Catfished: Is His Online Dating Profile Real?". Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Author and Online Dating Expert Julie Spira to Appear at the NAB Show". WebWire. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Digital.Hollywood". prime.digitalhollywood.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Wednesday15Sp5". www.dhsessions.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- Digital Hollywood (2014-10-30), Women Entrepreneurs: Sharing Experience, retrieved 2017-02-06
- "Digital Hollywood Fall 2014 Schedule" (PDF).
- "Digital LA - Dating Apps: 7 Tips for Your Startups and 5 Tips for your Profile Pics". Digital LA. 2016-02-04. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Online Dating Focus Group at the 10th Annual iDate Dating Industry Super Conference hosted by Julie Spira on January 16-19, 2013". WebWire. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "MOBILE AND ONLINE DATING FOCUS GROUP". www.internetdatingconference.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Julie Spira - Internet Dating Conference". 2011-01-23.
- "Julie Spira to Host Online Dating Focus Consumer Group at Mobile Dating Industry Conference on June 5-7, 2013". WebWire. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-17. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Digital LA - Silicon Beach Fest celebrates fifth anniversary bringing LA tech community together". Digital LA. 2016-09-09. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Silicon Beach Fest 2015 Schedule".
- “Big Brothers, Big Sisters Dream Dream Big” - Beverly Hills Courier, Oct. 15, 2010
- "8th Annual iDate Awards Winners Announced at the 2017 Internet Dating Conference Awards Ceremony". WebWire. Retrieved 2017-02-01.