|Occupation||Senior Civil Servant, Member of the Council of State (France)|
|Website||French Conseil d’Etat - Official website|
Julien Anfruns is a Member of the Council of State (France) ('Conseil d'Etat'), Supreme Court Judge.
Between 2008 and May 2013, Julien Anfruns was the Director General of the International Council of Museums (ICOM). On the occasion of the 2010 World Expo (Expo 2010) in Shanghai, China, ICOM held its 22nd General Conference between 7 to 12 November, during which Julien Anfruns welcomed among others, the former President of France, Jacques Chirac, as well as the former President of Mali, Alpha Oumar Konaré.
Julien Anfruns was educated at the National School of Administration (École nationale d'administration, ENA) and EDHEC Business School. He was the Director of Administration, for Financial and Legal Affairs (C.F.O. and General Counsel) at the Louvre Museum (Musée du Louvre) between 2005-2008, where he was involved in the strategic development of the Louvre both in France and abroad, notably for the project Louvre Abu Dhabi. He has also previously occupied several diplomatic posts including at the United Nations in New York, as well as in Finland and Estonia.
He is actively involved as a member of several think tank groups, including the Global Agenda Council on the Role of the Arts in Society for the World Economic Forum (Davos). In April 2013, he was nominated as a member to the French national commission of the European Heritage Label.
Julien Anfruns also engages in forums bringing together culture and business and participates on panels such as the Forum d'Avignon and is a member of the Nouveau Club de Paris, which supports Knowledge Economy. He served as a trustee for the European Museum Forum between January 2010 and February 2013. He is a member of the Advisory Board of EDHEC Business School.
International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS)
Following the second World War (World War II), UNESCO adopted the Hague Convention (1954) creating rules to protect cultural goods during armed conflicts. This Convention was the first international treaty aimed at protecting Cultural heritage in the context of war and which highlighted the concept of Common heritage. The International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS) is stated in the protocol of the Hague Convention and was created as the equivalent for Heritage of what the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) represents for Humanitarian actions. ICBS incorporates museums and archives, audiovisual supports, libraries, and monuments and sites. It brings together the knowledge, experience and international networks of the following non-governmental organisations dealing with cultural heritage: ICA, International Council on Archives, ICOM, International Council of Museums, IFLA, International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, ICOMOS, International Council on Monuments and Sites and CCAAA, Coordinating Council of Audiovisual Archives Associations. Julien Anfruns was President of the International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS) between 2009 and 2013.
Speeches and contributions
Julien Anfruns is invited to participate at many conferences and contributes on numerous to several international projects. His most recent contributions:
- World Economic Forum, Summit on the Global Agenda, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (18–20 November 2013)
- Conference on Intangible Heritage and Territories Attraction, French Ministry of Finance, Paris, 17 October 2013
- World Economic Forum (Davos, Switzerland) from du 23 to 27 January 2013
- First Congress of the northern committees of the ICOM Latin America and Caribbean Alliance in Guatemala (10–12 December 2012)
- Forum d'Avignon (France) from 15 to 17 November 2012
- Summit of the World Economic Forum in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (12–14 November 2012)
- Annual Conference of NEMO (Network of European Museum Organisations) in Dublin, Ireland from 2 to 4 November 2012
- Symposium for the French-speaking Sub-Saharian area’s heritage (Paris, 26 October 2012)
- AVICOM Conference (International Committee for Audiovisual and New Image and Sound Technologies in Museums) in Montreal, Canada from 9 to 11 October 2012
- The Best in Heritage Conference in Dubrovnik, Croatia, from 27 to 29 September 2012
- ICOMOS and ICAHM Regional Conference in Greece about heritage protection in times of economic crisis (23–25 May 2012)
- The IBA Art, Cultural institutions and Heritage Law Committee’s conference about “New Art: New Legal Challenges” at the MAXXI (Roma, 17–18 May 2012)
- The 2012 Council of Europe Museum Prize at a Ceremony held in Strasbourg on 25 April 2012
- The International Fair of Agriculture for the conference of museums of agriculture on 2 March 2012
- The Irish Museums Association’s conference on 25 February 2012
- Jury of the contest entitled Musées (em)portables in Paris in January 2012
- First International Conference of ICBS in Seoul in December 2011
- International Bar Association (IBA) Annual Conference in Dubai in October 2011
- The Best in Heritage Excellence Club at EXPONATEC COLOGNE in November 2011
- Art Collecting Legal Handbook, Préface Julien Anfruns, Bruno Boesch et Massimo Sterpi (editors), 2013, ISBN 978-0414026933
- Julien Anfruns: The Best in Heritage 2012 Publication, Julien Anfruns’ keynote speech Ethics for the heritage sector, Web
- André Desvallées, François Mairesse: Dictionnaire encyclopédique de muséologie, Préface Julien Anfruns, Armand Colin, 2011, ISBN 978-2200270377
- "Julien Anfruns at the head of ICOM" (in French). lejournaldesarts.fr. October 2010.
- "Shanghai to host world museum convention". china.org. 2009.
- "Jacques Chirac and Alpha Oumar Konaré at the ICOM General Conference". ICOM. 2010.
- "Julien Anfruns, Director of Administration, Financial and Legal Affairs at the Louvre Museum" (in French). legifrance.gouv.fr.
- "Julien Anfruns". www.weforum.org.
- "Label du Patrimoine européen" (in French). culturecommunication.gouv.fr.
- "New Club of Paris". New Club of Paris.
- "Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates 18-20 November 2013". www.weforum.org. 2013.
- "Patrimoine immatériel et territoires (pdf)" (PDF) (in French). www.economie.gouv.fr. 2013.
- "The Global Agenda Council on the role of the Arts in Society of the World Economic Forum : insights" (PDF). weforum.org. 2013.
- "New Centres of Innovation". weforum.org. 2013.
- "Article in la Prenda Libre : "Anfruns : los museos deben ser atractivos"". prensalibre.com. 2012.
- "Interview on France 24 during the Forum d’Avignon 2012: "La culture, un remède anti-crise ?"" (in French). france24.com. 2012.
- "Session du Forum d’Avignon 2012 avec la participation de Julien Anfruns, intitulée "Organiser le temps – Le musée imaginaire"". forum-avignon.org. 2012.
- "Detailed program of the 2012 Annual Conference of NEMO in Dublin". ne-mo.org. 2012.
- "ICOM receives the cultural heritage directors of the French-speaking Sub-Saharan area". icom.museum. 2012.
- "Julien Anfruns at the conference AVICOM Montréal 2012". icom.museum. 2012.
- "Julien Anfruns’ keynote speech during The Best in Heritage Conference in 2012: "Ethics for the heritage sector"". VIDEO Youtube. 2012.
- "ICOMOS and ICAHM 2012 Regional Conference about heritage protection in times of economic crisis". star.gr. 2012.
- "The IBA Art, Cultural institutions and Heritage Law Committee’s conference 2012" (PDF). fondazionemaxxi.it. 2012.
- "The 2012 Council of Europe Museum Prize at a Ceremony held in Strasbourg on 25 April 2012". europeanmuseumforum.info. 2012.
- "The Irish Museums Association’s conference on 25 February 2012" (PDF). irishmuseums.org. 2012.
- "Jury of the contest entitled Musées (em)portables in Paris. French VIDEO" (in French). VIDEO Youtube. January 2012.
- "First International Conference of ICBS in Seoul. VIDEO". VIDEO Youtube. October 2011.
- "International Bar Association (IBA) Annual Conference in Dubai". ibanet.org. December 2011.
- "The Best in Heritage Excellence Club at EXPONATEC COLOGNE.". VIDEO Youtube. November 2011.